jack
Lv 4
jack asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 5 years ago

Which of the following would most likely have the greatest lasting effect on an ecosystem?

a.

a seasonal excess of fertilizer runoff

b.

a disease among a population

c.

change to the landscape from construction

d.

seasonal drought

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Mmm, Interesting. I'd cross out seasonal drought. The very word seasonal means it's expected and part of the ecosystem. The population has adapted. The other three would or could bring about big and lasting changes that would change how the population would interact if they could survive and stay at all. I guess the next to cross off would be a disease ... if only one population is affected,(you didn't specify what population), then hopefully or best case scenario, the other populations and plant life would survive. , that leaves a and c. I'd say that while excess fertilizer runoff can have very serious consequences, polluting and poisoning the water which all things need, BUT best outcome, plants and soil can filter eventually, given enough time. so.... THAT LEAVES C. landscape changed/ construction, : , which includes moving earth, taking out native plants/ food, changing water sources or moving underground, etc for construction, completely changes an ecosystem, how populations and plants interact, because what was there will be gone. That's a great difference. Food sources gone or moved, animal homes gone. they in affect, have completely taken out an ecosystem and replaced it. ... what I didn't say was that ALL of them can have long and lasting effects on an ecosystem.. one thing can start a chain reaction, seriously affecting all populations and plants. All living things are interdependent. We sometimes forget, being at the top of the food chain. but plants need insects and visa versa, the oxygen and carbon monoxide exchanged between plants and animals, animals need the plants for food, Carnivore's need the plant eaters, We need them all.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

a

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.