Reaction to adult threatening my child?

Tonight I went with my 13 year old son to a friend's for Thanksgiving. There were lots of people there -- some we'd never met. When we were finished eating and just sitting around talking, my son got up and was being silly, so I told him to settle down. A man in his 40s whose own kids were in attendance said to my son, "Yeah, go sit down or I'll punch you in the face." He was clearly joking, but I just don't understand why an adult would say such a thing to ANY person, let alone a child...and one he'd never met before! Thoughts?

Nobody should say that even when joking. Have you asked your son how he felt about it?

You do have the right, as a parent, to politely say to an adult that you would appreciate them not to say that to your child even though it was said as a joke. Parenting should be left to the parent unless the parent isn't there.

It's wrong to say that, but he's just trying to get you going. Just ignore him.

He was clearly joking? Who makes that kind of a joke? I doubt anyone there found it funny. What a low life