Reaction to adult threatening my child?

Tonight I went with my 13 year old son to a friend's for Thanksgiving. There were lots of people there -- some we'd never met. When we were finished eating and just sitting around talking, my son got up and was being silly, so I told him to settle down. A man in his 40s whose own kids were in attendance said to my son, "Yeah, go sit down or I'll punch you in the face." He was clearly joking, but I just don't understand why an adult would say such a thing to ANY person, let alone a child...and one he'd never met before! Thoughts?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago

Nobody should say that even when joking. Have you asked your son how he felt about it?

You do have the right, as a parent, to politely say to an adult that you would appreciate them not to say that to your child even though it was said as a joke. Parenting should be left to the parent unless the parent isn't there.

• 6 years ago

It's wrong to say that, but he's just trying to get you going. Just ignore him.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

He was clearly joking? Who makes that kind of a joke? I doubt anyone there found it funny. What a low life

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.