How to practise for therapist/counselling job in the future?

Okay so right now im in senior school in year 10, im doing 6th form and im going to take physcology and socialogy. I want to be a therapist, counsellor or something similar when im older because i think when someones going through a tough time, they need someone to be there for them. And i also want to help people overcome anxieties etc.

My friends talk to me about their problems and i give them advice, i also have been helping my friend overcome her social anxiety disorder. Im just wondering if theres anything else i can do thats good practise for these jobs?

I know, bit of a weird question but any help is appreciated.

Favorite Answer

This is what I do for a living.

A counsellor, or therapist depending what country your in.

I am trying to gain a degree in psychology as it means I can help more and understand more things, plus pay is better and it's more the unusual problems you can tackle.

Plus it's easier for the clients coz they don't need a doctor for scripts.

I started in just counselling courses.

I did all the diplomas, all the training, and it wasn't enough.

I still had so much to learn.

Wasn't until I was 30 that I was mentally and emotionally prepared.

You need a lot of diff experiences to really do the job.

Community services was good help and I worked in day care, aged care and also did volunteer work for lifeline.

Also If you do social studies and get some training in as a social worker will help.

All the certificates and diplomas make no diff.

It's the hands on exp that matters.

There are some really horrible things out there and you need to be quite unbiased, not emotional, be professional at all times, and not express your own views.

There is no easy fix, and just coz you want to help doesn't mean you can.

Read a lot about relationships, depression, bi polar, any mental disorders, also learn things like cognitive behaviour, addictions, abuse etc...

Answering here is a good start...

Answer the hard questions.

The ones who want to suicide, the ones who cut or harm themselves.

Can you deal with normal everyday problems, or will you be able to delve deeper into the disgusting acts going on in most homes?

What advice can you give to an abusive marriage?

What can you do for a child who had been molested and abused.

What about the children that are so neglected and get taken away from families?

Do you comprehend the bad stuff and can leave that for work only, and not bring it home and let it affect you personally?

How would you cope knowing someone was raped?

Or a woman won't leave a partner who hits her?

You need to fully understand the reasons why people stay, why they do bad things, why people are so dysfunctional.

Go onto bestgore website and see if you can stomach that.

Go onto a website for abused kids or women and see if you can understand that, there's heaps of chat rooms and it's gives invaluable insight into what really goes on.

Working for a shelter, or a helpline is great exp.

Listen to 911 call transcripts, see if you can handle that.

Get as much hands on exp as possible, even if it means no pay.

Nobody wants to see a therapist who is young.

They automatically think you have no idea.

So finish community services, work with kids, families, aged people, and gain an understanding, not just from schooling, that's all just theoretical, you need real life exp.

Good luck.

• ashlee5 years agoReport

Thank you so much, this helped a bunch!:)

• Jake

There may be volunteer help telephone services you could participate in, they might use peer concealer or they may require 'adults' for reliability legal-reasons.