My toe nails are discolored and I've had athletes foot for 16 years.. do I need to go to a doctor?

Or can I buy some stuff over the counter? If so what? I have a phobia of hospitals/doctors... so I don't really want to schedule an appointment.

Favorite Answer

You can probably treat your feet without a visit to a doctor though a doctor can prescribe stronger anti-fungal medications than you can buy over-the-counter.

Your regime probably needs to start with hygiene. You need to thoroughly clean ALL the surfaces your feet touch - floors, bathrooms, bedding ... everywhere ... and keep cleaning it as you will continue to deposit infection until your feet are better.

All your footwear is contaminated with the fungus. It needs to be be replaced or treated to kill the fungus. You will have to re-treat anything you wear before your feet are 100% better.

YOU should wash your feet thoroughly at least once a day, dry them thoroughly and apply anti-fungal ointment liberally before putting on CLEAN DRY socks, ideally made of cotton. Some ointments treat skin and nail infections while others are better for just one area. You need to treat both. Your pharmacist can advise you.

Fungal infections love warm, moist places ... like sweaty trainers. It is best if you wear footwear that lets your feet breathe. Do not wear the same footwear all day. Try not to wear the same foot wear every day. This applies even when your feet are better.

If you keep this up, the infections should clear up but it could easily take several weeks. If it comes back, you have re-infected yourself because some part of your hygiene routine was not done well enough. You'll need to start over again.

It can be done but you can't skimp on any part of it. Good luck.

Go see a doctor.

My local hospital nearly killed me, I'm not even afraid to go back in.

Grow some balls.

• Seth

you probably need to see a Podiatrist since you have a fungal infection

Source(s): Fungal toenail treatment http://podpost.us/issue/december-january-2013/arti...

yes