Is there classical music for someone that is trying to get into the genre?

Can someone recommend some classical piano or violin music to someone that is interested in listening to the genre? I know of the great composers like Mozart and Chopin but its a bit overwhelming. There are literally hundreds of songs by them, and not every song is suitable to ears that are used to listening to... show more Can someone recommend some classical piano or violin music to someone that is interested in listening to the genre? I know of the great composers like Mozart and Chopin but its a bit overwhelming. There are literally hundreds of songs by them, and not every song is suitable to ears that are used to listening to rock.

Basically is there a compilation or cd of simpler songs, or stand alone songs that are good by themselves. Symphonies have so many tempo switches and that takes some getting used to. Pachelbel in D by piano is a good example of what I am looking for.

Are there any great modern pianists by the way? Either solo pianists that play well or composers making new music. I can't imagine that all of the great piano music was made centuries ago. Thanks you.