dontai asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 5 years ago

Why am I becoming obsessed with Japan and everything related to it?

So some time ago I was watching a historical anime and that lot a spark in me leading to my love for Japan and it's culture but now a days I find myself obsessed with everything Japanese if I hear something about Japan on the news I jump out of bed to see what it is. I would be grateful to anyone that can answer and if possible a Japanese person would be nice.

Favorite Answer

My obsession is different. When I was 8 I got interested in Japan, I wanted to be a ninja (LOL) and hatted when people called the Japanese Chinese or Korean, I'd get really offended, over the years the interest grew stronger to the point I got obsessed with it, I was in love with the culture and history (I love history in general)

I even bought the samurai code (Bushido) and read it, I still keep it on my nightstand, and 3 months ago I finally started watching anime (please do realize I had an obsession with Japan way before watching anime) and at that point I started learning Japanese online, I learned all the kana and a few kanji.

I started practicing kendo, I learned how to use chopsticks learned a lot of vocabulary learned a lot more about the Japanese culture. I'm still obsessed it, it's like a passion for it, yes I'm aware of Japan's flaws and everything and know about all of the negative stuff, but I still love it. And everytime I see something Japanese or hear someone talking about Japan I'm like "DID SOMEONE SAY JAPAN?!"

You have what most people have when it comes to loving Japan and having never been here. A fantasy of Japan based on Anime. I know you said historical Anime but they are all fantasy. I live in Japan and it is not what 99% of the people who come on Yahoo answers and say "I love Japan" think it is. Like someone else said you should visit and see what Japan is like. The culture is amazing and so are the people but again it is nothing like any Anime I have ever seen. Most people have this very wrong idea of Japan and everyday life. You rarely see people in Kimonos, the women do not wait on their husbands hand and foot. Save some money take 2 weeks and visit some places in Japan. Try some place other than Tokyo to get a good feel for the country. I live in Yokkaichi it is in between Nagoya and Osaka and while the main city is busy if my wife and I drive 20 minutes we are looking at farms and the countryside.

It's very easy to become 'obsessed' with Japan and all things Japanese. Their language is cool! The culture is interesting, the food is delicious and the people are friendly. What's not to like about it?!!

I'm a Japanese but I feel Japanese are not appropriate for answering you. Because everything in Japan is too routine for us to think seriously about them.

I recommend you to visit Japan ASAP. Some foreigners become addicted to Japan while some dissapointed.

And if you want to know about trivial things, look at http://www.eonet.ne.jp/~smallbear/This_is_Japan.ht...

Especially http://smallbear.dyndns.dk:16080/~english/food_mat...

Oh, people go through binges. Is this the first time that you've ever become obsessed with something and had to read everything about it? It's happened with me. I went through an Eddie Izzard kick just last year, and it did me a world of good.

Japan is interesting, there's lots of depth and breadth to the subject, and something to entertain just about everyone. It's a good subject to get obsessed about, as far as these things go. Relax, enjoy the ride. It's better than drinking beer all night in front of Nickolodeon.

You are not becoming obsessed with Japan and everything related to it. You are becoming obsessed with an artificial, synthesized image of what you think Japan should be.

The truth is that there are many wonderful things about Japan and many beautiful/historical places. But most of those things have nothing to do with the superficial portrayal of Japan that you have fallen in love with so far. Japan is no Utopia either - it is a place with its problems too, and if you think it's just one big Candyland you are setting yourself up for a huge disillusionment.

As others have suggested, you should fly in and visit Japan sometime - do it with your eyes open and not clouded with overly good or overly bad preconceptions.

There are many channels on Youtube you can get a good view of Japan as well. Some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/user/gimmeaflakeman/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/thejapanfaq/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/MyHusbandisJapanese/v...

https://www.youtube.com/user/egawauemon/videos

...and there are countless others. Just remember that for some making videos is a way to vent their frustrations, so take them with a grain of salt.

In the end - never, but never, trust the word of anyone who is either too positive, or too negative about Japan, or anywhere else for that matter.

Because Japan is the best country in the whole world :)

Everything is perfect

Everything is perfect

I've met tons of people here ( Tokyo) who started out watching anime then getting obsessed and in the end moving here. Not a problem. It really attracts some people - they get this obsession with it.

Go for it, good for you!

Perhaps God is calling you to move to Japan