I dont understand some of the "lessons" posted at this guitar learning website.. .please give me your opinion on this video I found there;?

Am I supposed to be able to learn how to play this song from looking at this video?

I've been playing for 20 years and I cannot see many of the chords he is fingering, maybe if there would have been a camera mounted on the headstock looking down the fretboard like others I have seen there, but this one does me very little good if trying to learn to play the song. Would this video help you learn the song?

http://www.vanderbilly.com/Guitar-Lesson-stone-tem...

Favorite Answer

The actual video don't appear at all like a lesson to me, it appears as the title says - a cover of the song (that is, playing along too the track).

I agree that it is near impossible to see the chords played since there is no explanations or close-ups of the fingerboard and the guitar moves all over the place. But again, this does not seem to be a tutorial on how to play the song...

The video pointing from the headstock at the fingerboard is definitely not a good idea for learning. It is more of a novelty thing (looks cool). The best shots are close ups directly at the fingerboard and guitar kept still - possibly a split screen showing both hands simultaneously. Also, written or verbal explanations accompanying this is hugely helpful (this includes tabs or notation).

I have played for a very long time myself and I would also have a hard time picking out the song from the video. It is far easier to learn it by ear (not from this lousy sounding video though).

Well no, of course not. It's just a video of someone playing along to a recording of a song. You'd be far better just listening to a good quality audio recording of the song, a CD maybe, if you want to learn it.

There's nothing about it that suggests it's any kind of lesson or tutorial.

• Sharon

I think Dhoni became over confident after the T20 world cup. He is unable to score properly and he is complaining to Tendulkar. Can't he see when Tendulkar was batting. He was batting against the finest bowler of all times who had the fresh new ball. And his wicket can't be said to be a proper one. Look at Dhonis strike rate 36 off 66. This is the way he wants to play in the 2011 world cup. I think we are terribly missing the two seniors who were kicked out. Why has Rohit Sharma brought to the team. What does he want Sachin to do hit a century in every match when Sharma,Shewag and he himself are not able to play. Sachin could have clicked with Ganguly they make huge partnerships. Why does he kick Ganguly out. Even Harbhajan had a much better strike rate I think Dhoni is seriously overconfident. I agree with Varun P.S I am not from bengal. Just supporting Gangully because he is a great batsme

• ?

That's just a cover video man, not a tutorial.

• I guess I should have stated in my question that the entire website is dedicated to the teaching and learning of guitar playing.