Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 6 years ago

How much should a 4.25 inch 1911 .45 ACP Cost?

Nothing all too fancy just a stock and simple version. I'm planning on going to a gun show but don't want to get screwed.

Favorite Answer

Do not go to a gun show unless you have an expert with you. Half the tables there - the guns will be overpriced junk. The other half will be honest locals - you need to be able to the tell the difference.

Before the Ruger 10/22 - the 1911 was 'the' gun that tons and tons of owners took files, saws, sandpaper, corcus cloth to - to do a 'kitchen table' trigger job. Kinda silly really, Joe Blow thinking with zero trigger job experience he can fit a trigger better than some guy at the factory who's been doing it for 12-20 years. Lots of 1911's got butchered - the solution - go buy a new part, stuff it in, then sell it asap. Guy at gun shows dream of guys like you walking in, and walking away with these guns while they keep your money.

Most real gunsmiths know guys like you get screwed at gun shows - and - they will be happy to 'keep an eye out' for a nice 1911 if you walk in and talk to them. Leave them your card or phone numbers - email address too.

With a used 1911 - you need somebody to check it out for you. Me, I used to build them in the 1980's for several years until I got sick of doing that. Fun became 'another job'. The money was good but my heart just wasn't into it anymore. I seen some pretty dangerous guns in my time..... some with kitchen trigger jobs so bad the things fired 2 rounds at a time. One gun - the guy test fired at the local range put 3 rounds in the roof when it dumped the whole 7rd mag full auto. That was a nice day to NOT be at the range.

We had two guns shows in my town a few weeks ago. Every 45 I saw - was overpriced. The one 45 that was reasonable - under $400 - was a WW2 'battle rattle' with only the slide and frame original - all the other parts were junk..... but someone had given them a rough Parkerizing to make it look like a nice gun. And the guy selling it - he had one with original parts with a $2,000 price tag on it. No doubt he was hoping some young guy would 'think' it was rare and pony up the $2K...... you can buy the same thing all day long at www.gunsamerica.com for $600. Gun shows - are like walking into a gypsy lion's den.

You get sucked into a gun show 1911 that is used - you get no warranty and the guy is outta town and gone in 24 hours. You buy a used 1911 at a local gun store - not a pawn shop - a real gun shop with a gunsmith in the back ..... if you have problems, they will help you out.

Some 1911's gots a bad reputation. The stainless AMT 'Hardballer' - these you can buy dirt cheap. They were made with soft stainless and subject to 'galling'........ galling means little balls of metal form and slow down the slide movement unit it become a jam-o-matic. The secret to keeping one of these babies running like a top - is to polish the rails with Crest toothpaste and a Dremel with a standard white cotton polish tip. Every 3 boxes (150 rounds) 'time to polish the rails'. Back in the late 70's and 80's I would buy these things for $150-$170 used, polish them up..... then head to the range when it was busy. After someone seen me fire 50rds with no jam - folks would walk over, talk, and I could sell it for $150 to $200 more than I paid. Back then - stainless 45's were scarce - and nobody had a good thing to say about them. Today - everyone makes them.

Go find a 1911 guru. Take a slow go at the gun shop and let him show all the stuff that is wrong with the 1911's there. You will learn a ton. My stepson caught the 1911 'bug' - he caught it after we test fired a couple of Kimber Grand Raptor II's for the local police. He and I had already gone through a gun show once and I showed him the bad ones. Took him 6 months but he saved up and got the Kimber Raptor. .... not fancy like the Grand Raptor but a very nice collectable gun. Like I did with him - you should go fire a Colt National Match Gold Cup or a Kimber and this way you 'know' what a good 1911 is suspose to feel like - hammer backing, trigger, slide pull, how tight the slide is.......

Me - when I was 24 - I got burned on my first 1911 - badly - that was 1977 and the US Coast Guard and rest of the US still had the 1911 as a service pistol. Our Gunners Mate 1st Class had been to Colt 1911 school..... he showed me how to fix mine. It was a fun project - and - what set me to fixing and building 1911's later on. I got lucky - I had someone with skills and tools to help me out.

$350 to $750 it really depends on brand. And while you say "stock and simple", that can still vary based on some basic options.

Here is a sight that sells Rock Island Armory 45s, probably one of the best values:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/handguns-manufact...

Rule of thumb, Zach. Generally the longer is the answer - the more the BS it contains.