Looking to get into ar-15s. Any suggestions?

So I just got my ccw. And I've pretty familiar with pistols. But i want to start trying out rifles and far range sport shooting. Looking to spend close to $1000. What do you guys thinks my best options? Im a beginner in ar's but I pick up quick.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Best Answer

I'd suggest the CORE 15 M4. I have one and its my first AR, couldn't be happier. It has a chrome lined 5.56 barrel, picatinny flat top, and unlike the S&W M&P sport it has a forward assist and dust cover. It was $830 plus $50 for the MBUS rear sight.

Since your new to ARs you should look for one with a 5.56 barrel so you can shoot both .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO rounds. Most AR's now are carbine length having a 16 inch barrel, unless you plan to shoot long distance a 16 in barrel will be perfectly fine. Most people want a chrome lined barrel with a 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrels are more durable than stainless but slightly less accurate, I can tell you you'll notice no difference.

There are a few other options out there Spike tactical, Bushmaster, S&W M&PS are all good sub $1,000 AR's.

Here is a like to a similar question I got BA for which goes into further detail as to what you should look for when getting a new AR. there is also a link at the end of that to another question I answered that may give you further information:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgiL...

• august
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

In my humble opinion, it's hard to beat the S&W M&P15 Sport for a beginner's AR. Price-wise, it's one of the best deals out there.

Or, if you want a slightly more versatile AR, look into some of the higher-end S&W M&P15 line. They're all good rifles. And yes, there are some other good brands out there; I just happen to like the S&W offerings.

• 5 years ago

Unless you know what you want, don't spend too much on your FIRST AR. You can upgrade to your tastes after the fact. They are out of stock at the moment, but here an example of a well-made AR in your price range:

http://aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STR5035M...

The only change I would consider with that configuration is possibly an Magpul MOE furniture.

• 5 years ago

Colt ar15a4

Basically the marine corp battle rifle in semi auto.

Check it out!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

a $1000 for 1000 yard shooting ?....stick with pistols, then.

• 5 years ago

Yes. Bring money.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Colt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.