She! asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 years ago

Can I cut 6" cake layers from already baked 9" layers?

Hi,

I am making my mom a birthday cake tomorrow. Yesterday I baked and froze the two layers in 9" round baking pans. I plan on taking them out of the freezer tomorrow morning, make the frosting then and decorate it. Here's the thing though, a 9" two layer cake is way to much for two people and I don't want it to go to waste. I've seen 6" round pans before and I figured I could (carefully!) cut out two 6" circles (and freeze the leftover for cake truffles or something. Think this will work? Any tips? Also, so that I can adjust the recipe, about how much frosting would I need for a two layer 6" cake?

Thanks in advance, I'm a good cook but not much of a baker - I've never actually make a layer cake!

Best Answer

You could always make the whole cake and then freeze the leftover individual slices wrapped in aluminum foil or plastic wrap so your Mom can have a nice dessert when she feels like it. The frosting may get a bit messed up but the cake will still taste good.

You can of course cut the cake layers into 6 inch rounds using a template. I found this recipe for chocolate frosting for a six inch layer cake. It looks fairly easy to make.

Ingredients

For the chocolate frosting:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

2 cups confectioners’ sugar

1/4 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

For the frosting: In a small, heavy saucepan, melt the butter and the chocolate over low heat. In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar with the milk and vanilla and stir until smooth. Add the chocolate mixture. Set the bowl over another bowl half-filled with ice water. With a rubber spatula, beat just until the frosting is thick enough to spread.

Spread one cake layer with about one-fourth of the frosting. Set the second layer on top and spread the remaining frosting on the sides and top of the cake, swirling with your spatula.

• Raatz

Yeah. Use a paper circle to trace. You can decorate the top of the cake with the crumbled bits you didn't use, like a blackout cake.

Of course you can cut into anything.