RB asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 6 years ago

What is my household size as defined by the affordable care act health insurance?

I'm single but my mother of 84 and my disabled brother lives with me. House is in my name and I own it. My mom files her own taxes and claims my brother as her dependent.

I think according to the law my household is one and not three.

Is that right?

Thank you

Favorite Answer

Your house size, is how many people live in your house. That would be you, your mother, your disabled brother.

The affordable care act, doesn't define your "household size" - only Medicaid - welfare - does that. The affordable care act, only asks for DEPENDENTS, not household size. Neither of them are your dependents. A dependent would be a spouse and/or children.

Your household size is three. It's not rocket science. It's how many people live under that roof.

• car253

A dependent can be someone you support 50% or more and you are the only one claiming them on a tax return.

I recommend one to visit this site where onel can get quotes from the best companies: http://insureforeverybody.info/index.html?src=5YAG...

RE :What is my household size as defined by the affordable care act health insurance?

Is that right?

Thank you

Follow 10 answers

Source(s): I recommend one to visit this site where onel can get quotes from the best companies: http://insureforeverybody.info/index.html?src=5YAG...
  • Bill

Household income for welfare purposes is based on combined income from all those who reside in the home whether dependents or not.

Yes--your household would be one. You don't claim your mother as your dependent or your brother--so they are basically like roommates. You aren't insuring them, so your household would be considered yourself only.

For the ACA your household is everyone on your tax return.

• ?

You should call the phone number on your state exchange website and ask that question, or call any licensed insurance broker where you are and ask.

• ?

you are correct... one