Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 6 years ago

Why does everyone hate M Night Shyamalan?

Favorite Answer

Everyone hates on new M Night Shyamalan. Shyamalan DID make several good films: "The Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable", and "Signs". Hate on "Signs" for the anticlimactic twist, but the suspense is expertly-crafted and is an example of good storytelling.

Anyone who says "The Sixth Sense" is not a well-made film doesn't know cinema. The reveal might have been predictable, but if a film is only good for the twist/reveal, it's not really a good film now is it. The performances were excellent, the story was well-executed, and at times it had some solid suspense. "Unbreakable" is pretty well-received so I'll leave that discussion out.

"The Village" is hated more than it has any right to be hated. Most audiences were expecting a horror film and reasonably so (the trailer WAS better than the final outcome), but the attention to detail of the set designs, the suspense it had in the first act, and some fine performances don't make this the worst movie ever made. While I agree the second half was pretty anticlimactic, you can't just hate on a whole movie for one bad chunk. Is it not a good film? Yes. But you can't say it's the worst movie of all time if it has some good elements and shows that the director CAN direct.

"Lady in the Water" and "The Happening" were abysmal however. Horrible storytelling, some of the most unimaginative directing I've seen, and the acting was horrendous. "The Last Airbender" was so awful I didn't get past the 45 minute mark. Truly awful. I did not bother with "After Earth" because I don't care for Jaden Smith.

His tracking record now is horrendous, but has he made some good films? Yes he has. And before anyone brings "Devil" into this, he merely produced it, NOT directed it. Learn how to read.

I do not hate him, that is a very strong emotion. Besides The Sixth Sense, I have not been impressed with his work. So I will leave it at that.

Because he makes terrible movies. Have you seen The Last Airbender?

• ?

Dude...........I use to LOVE the guy...............

I even defended him after The Village.............

but he directed The Last Air Bender!

and then, AMAZINGLY.......someone *still* hired the guy, and what does he DO????????

He writes "After Earth".

Do you understand how god awful After Earth was?

Two freaking HOURS of watching Jayen Smith cry and "emote" and running thru a forest.

Never in my LIFE, have I ever felt like I was owed an immediate and PROMPT refund, for having sat thru a movie.

and I've sat thru "Sophie's Choice", and "Battlefield Earth".

But After Earth??????? That dude won't be able to bus tables in Hollywood again.

I LOVED his film "Unbreakable", and I even LIKED "Signs".....when a lot of people panned it.

The Village was .................well, alright........but, then he did " The Happening".

(the TREES are after us???? )

dude........what HAPPENED?????????? He started off with such GREAT promise.........

I will try to remember him for "Unbreakable"........and try to FORGET I lost 2 hours of my LIFE sitting thru "After Earth."

The dude STILL owes me a refund!

Have you seen "The Village"? If you did you'd understand.

I don't.

P.S. I liked The Village!

• Jason

not everyone does

"The Village" was a bit of a non event but he has done some good stuff