Jared asked in SportsMartial Arts · 5 years ago

Sword bending?

So I got this longsword (35inch 1060 steel blade) and when I hold it out horizontaly with the flat side faceing up it tends to curve down because of the weight. Is this bad or normal?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, that's not good or normal in the slightest. As mentioned you may have bought a "pasta" sword. A sword should be "bendable", as in it should flex. But under it's own weight? No. No. No.

I own several swords and have handled longswords. A longsword or hand and a half should not bend under it's own weight. That's very bad and shows complete lack of quality with the blade.

I've heard, some of windlass steels swords to be a bit whippy, but not bend under their own weight. I can't even imagine. That's terrible.

Source(s): Martial Artist 14 yrs and counting. Swordsmanship 10 yrs - Bujinkan, AKBAN, Kenjutsu, ARMA
  • Helios
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

I think you might have a pasta sword.......... I can't imagine a sword bending under it's own weight. I know a lot of reproduced swords are quite cheap and shouldn't be used in any sort of fighting or they'll break in half.

• Jared5 years agoReport

It's not really bending as much just curving

• 5 years ago

Yeah, you got a kitchen knife made to look like a katana (sword). It's neither normal nor is it a good thing. It's actually really, really bad.

• Jared5 years agoReport

The sword isn't a knife, it has a 35 inch long blade, it isn't a katana as I said it's a longsword, and you didn't answer my question.

• Bob
    Lv 5
    5 years ago

You should be careful when owning swords. They'll cut you f***ing wide open!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.