Jared asked in SportsMartial Arts · 5 years ago

Sword bending?

So I got this longsword (35inch 1060 steel blade) and when I hold it out horizontaly with the flat side faceing up it tends to curve down because of the weight. Is this bad or normal?

Favorite Answer

Yeah, that's not good or normal in the slightest. As mentioned you may have bought a "pasta" sword. A sword should be "bendable", as in it should flex. But under it's own weight? No. No. No.

I own several swords and have handled longswords. A longsword or hand and a half should not bend under it's own weight. That's very bad and shows complete lack of quality with the blade.

I've heard, some of windlass steels swords to be a bit whippy, but not bend under their own weight. I can't even imagine. That's terrible.

Source(s): Martial Artist 14 yrs and counting. Swordsmanship 10 yrs - Bujinkan, AKBAN, Kenjutsu, ARMA
  • Helios

I think you might have a pasta sword.......... I can't imagine a sword bending under it's own weight. I know a lot of reproduced swords are quite cheap and shouldn't be used in any sort of fighting or they'll break in half.

• Jared5 years agoReport

It's not really bending as much just curving

Yeah, you got a kitchen knife made to look like a katana (sword). It's neither normal nor is it a good thing. It's actually really, really bad.

• Jared5 years agoReport

The sword isn't a knife, it has a 35 inch long blade, it isn't a katana as I said it's a longsword, and you didn't answer my question.

• Bob

You should be careful when owning swords. They'll cut you f***ing wide open!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

Youtube thumbnail