My computer will let me browse the internet, but won't recognize the connection with other programs.?

Like, Steam, dropbox, and even the "help" feature in Windows will say "check your internet connection" but it is connected. I have an Asus G75vw with an Atheros wireles card and my internet is via cable. The errors it gives me will fluctuate between proxy erros and the remote device or resource won't accept the connection. But like I said Firefox, IE, can connect and surf. I can download without any problems too.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

You probably have a browser hijacker. When your computer connects to the internet by the browser, the hijacker server/proxy is set up to forward those requests to the receiver. I expect that the other programs use different ports than http, and their proxy server doesn't forward those requests on.

Check the network connection/LAN settings. There will be a section dealing with proxies. You want to clear that setting of anything. You can set it to no proxy or auto-detect proxy server, your choice.

Next, clean your machine of malware:

To remove Adware/Spyware you should do the following:

Run the free version of two of the following: Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware anti-spy, SuperAntiSpyware, AdwCleaner.

Next install and run malwarebytes free version.

Now, the following:

From Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All In One tool.

This is a great tool which bundles together several functions such as those in CCleaner or Glary Utilities.

Agree with top comment

Thank you! That seems to have done the trick.