What are scriptures that could be used to either support or refute Calvinist beliefs?

I am on the fence .. thinking of joining a Presbyterian church.

I need scripture to help me decide

Update:

on any or all points.. just as much help as you can provide either way

Update 2:

I am not writing an essay.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I believe that Calvinism is supported by the Scriptures. We don't know how God chooses people, but the Scripture is clear that He does choose people to be saved. Read the following passages: Ephesians 1:1-14, Romans 8:29-30, Romans 9:14-25. However, other verses seem to support the Armenian position: 1 Timothy 2:3-4, 2 Peter 3:9. I suspect that the Calvinists are right, although it's possible that the truth is somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure. I recommend the book "Chosen By God" by R.C. Sproul, which presents the Calvinist position.

• ccrider
      Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

I support your leanings toward Calvinism, but a few passages and a book suggestion are not what I would call an effective solution to your question.

• 5 years ago

Both Calvinism and Arminianism have all kinds of verses for support if that's what you're looking for--so quoting verses is really not going to help if you're trying to compare the two. It will only serve to further confuse you.

I'm Calvinist, and Calvinism boils down to the inability to merit Heaven through a sufficiently holy life. Pelagianism, semi-Pelagianism, and Arminianism fail at this, and Molinism and Thomism follow suit. I would recommend the Presbyterian church, but even they follow some Arminianism with the free offer of the gospel and the idea of common grace. Good luck with your decision.

• 5 years ago

There is much to know. WIth that said, if I were you I would concentrate on understanding the Bible and it's Principles. Many religions do teach basic principles but lack in recognizing the time period we are living in, much less, what our near future holds. They are unclear as to what God's Kingdom is. Often, they think it just means "heaven" and nothing more. Others will say it is "in your heart".

When Jesus Christ was on earth, he taught his followers how to pray. He left a "model prayer". Not to memorize it and repeat it over and over. It was a guide as to what is important for us all. It starts off telling us to glorify God's name, then it goes into the Kingdom which is actually a Government, that will be established in Heaven under Christ and we will see the affects on earth. However, not everyone will be there because people are making their minds up right now as to what their stand is on the issue.

Matthew 6:9, 10

9 “You must pray, then, this way:

“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth. (Also see Ps. 37:10, 11, 29, Rev. 20:1-3, Dan. 2:44)

A couple articles that you might find interesting:

http://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/wha...

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012363#h=18:0-...

• 5 years ago

Is Christ divided? Presbyterian, calvinists, and the list goes on and on. How does one know what is true.

We know the following to be true.

*There is only one church.

-https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/the-one-true-ch...

-https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/the-true-bible-...

God is not the author of confusion and the most important thing we can do when studying the Bible is to study it in context. The whole Bible was written for us, but the whole Bible was not written to us! It is a huge difference.

That is why people can quote Bible verses that "prove" that their interpretation is correct. I used to be lost as a Christian until I understood that point. It completely changed my life and my walk as a Christian.

I would urge you to read the links and if you have any questions at all to email me.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Moi
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Take OSAS for example

Paul compares salvation to a lifelong race - a marathon - that if we don't finish or get disqualified, we don't get the prize of salvation

1Co 9:25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.

1Co 9:26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.

1Co 9:27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

===============

see this

http://www.blbclassic.org/faq/sayings.cfm#once

• 5 years ago

Presbyterians, Lutherans, Methodists, are all pretty much the same. I finally joined the Free church. It is accepting of most mainstream Christian religions.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You're in luck..... because statements taken out of context and translated dozens of times in various versions of the same text (which you won't be able to read for yourself unless you learn Aramaic and Ancient Greek) can be made to say just about anything you like.

How do you think we ended up with so many sects of christianity?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.