Battery acid spilt in my car trunk..help!?

I just want to stsrt off saying I know I screwed up, and I don't need to be reminded. I don't know how long it's been there but taking action now cause I thought the battery was removed from my trunk.

Today I noticed the old battery in my trunk was stil there and it was on its side. I could tell it spilt but I don't know how much exactly. I covered the trunk carpet in baking soda to neutralize the acid since again I don't know how long it's been leaking. It's been sitting wit baking soda for about 12 hours now and first thing tomorrow morning I'm going to clean with water and more baking soda. My real concern is will it eat away at my trunk/ car. From what it looks like sofar there is not a lot of acid that spilt. But tomorrow ill be removing the caroet part to see under. Pleae any tips would be sooooo helpful

• Mr.357

The baking soda will neutralize the battery acid. Use enough baking soda until it quits bubbling. At that point all of the battery acid will be neutralized. The battery acid probably removed some of the coating and allowed the metal to start to rust. You could put some POR 15 on it, or sand it down to bare metal and prime/paint it to fully protect the metal.

My boyfriend says the spill looks pretty recent, I don't knkw how you can tell if it's fresh or if its old. Is their a way of telling?

• Phil M

Put baking soda on the spill. It will neutralize the acid. Do it as soon as possible, and apply liberally.

1

sounds like you are doing all that can be done