Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

could World War 3 start because of Russia?

Russia and China are friends, Russia invaded Ukraine, annexed Crimiea, threatened to invade Europe, threatened using nuclear weapons, has more nuclear weapons ready than the United States, and did I mention HAVE CHINA. I mean it feels like it could totally happen. Could it? And another question. Why is this not on the news as much? All I hear about is Ebola and ISIS. Isnt this the real threat?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Russia and China are occasional partners who tend to have compatible opinions on a number of high profile issues. They are also occasional rivals in a number of areas with a long history of hostility (dating back to before China or Russia even became republics, let alone communist). They are not friends or allies - they are independent countries with their own independent interests, policies, and power blocs, which sometimes mesh together and sometimes diverge widely.

The two certainly have no formal military alliance, and they have wildly disparate views on how to engage with the West. The idea that they would combine forces to wage war on the West "just cuz" is totally off-base and, in fact, utterly ludicrous.

In fact, it's doubtful that either could wage aggressive war against the West. Russia is totally outclassed by Europe alone - the EU is far wealthier, far more populous, far more industrial, and has a much larger, more capable military (albeit one without a unified defense policy). Russia would bite off way more than it can handle if it decided to try and go toe to toe with Poland or Romania or even the Baltic states - they only got as far as they did with Ukraine because Ukraine is a basket case that has no formal alliances with the rest of Europe as of now, and that has cost Russia perhaps a few hundred billion dollars so far in lost economic growth, trade ties, arms sales and purchases, and currency reserves, all so that they could put their flag over some peninsula that is a serious money sink and get "autonomy" for several Ukrainian provinces (and in doing so almost certainly push the rest of Ukraine irrevocably into the arms of Europe, rather than remain a buffer zone).

Basically, this Ukrainian adventure looks great on a map for Putin, but has already cost way more than it was worth and will continue to do so for decades in economic potential, direct costs, and foreign policy - it's actually a massive disaster for Russia.

Meanwhile, China is basically limited to operations within or very near its borders and would face economic ruin in the event of a war with the West. What would they have to gain? Some empty rocks? As far as China and Russia go, much has been made of this gas deal Russia made with China and how it "ensures" that Russia can't lose too much if Europe becomes independent of Russian gas. Of course, the Chinese managed to get the Russians to agree to a price barely above the cost of production, the Russians get to pay for the pipeline connections (which will be incredibly expensive, especially considering the scale of corruption in Russia), and it'll take a decade to get them up and running anyway, so I hardly think Russia's coming out ahead there, either - they might break even.

So, no, I'm not worried about a third world war breaking out any time soon - there is no reason for one, and tensions are much, much lower than they were during the Cold War.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

A world war would have to involve global powers and that wont ever happen again, even if the U.S. wants that. Russia did not invade the Ukraine or annex the Crimea, they did not threaten to invade eastern Europe, they would not use nuclear weapons. Russia is under threat from NATO/the U.S. You hear about ebola and IS because they are worrisome. The real threats in the world are the U.S. starting more wars and spying on its own citizens and killing and torturing people in other countries.

The U.S. started the trouble in the Ukraine, just as they start all the turmoil in the Middle East.

• 7 years ago

You mistake saber rattles for something more. Crimea is full of Russians & for years was Russian Black Sea home base. Nobody is marching into Europe. They are Russia's best gas customer. China? Off on relationship. Also no interest in war.

• 7 years ago

No. Russia and China are not friends.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

China and Russia vs America and Britain. Results? US AND BRITAIN ARE VICTORS

• 7 years ago

give me 5 years adn i can start you any war by any country for any given reason. people are like animals just write in their tabloids they will digest it. little by little. its that simple.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

No Like WW2 it WILL be because of the USA

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.