If I double a cheesecake recipe do I double bake time?

I've doubled my 9x13 cheesecake recipe for a super thick cheesecake. Only problem is I can't remember is I should double the baking time! Originally I bake for 10 mins at 360 then 40 mins at 260.

Just noticed the typo it should be *I can't remember IF not is.

Favorite Answer

No. One of the difficulties with cheesecake is to avoid overcooking the outside until it's dry in order to finish cooking the center. I would not make a thick one. I would use two pans instead. Then your cooking time will be about the same.

If you don't have two pans, you can use the same one twice, or put the bottom of the pan in a water bath for more even cooking. Ice in the bottom pan will help even more. Cooking time is not simply doubling. It's a guessing game, that's one reason people write recipes. They experiment until they get it just right. I would take a conservative guess, and try it. Then check it every ten minutes after that. Yes, it won't look perfect from you trying it, but you can always add a fruit topping.

• Gabby5 years agoReport

:/ I've already got it in the oven. I didn't think about that. This has been a family recipe for years but I've always felt it was to thin. Baking it for my husbands birthday today.

Double Baked Cheesecake

The exploring life I agree with but a 9x13 pan for cheesecake I have not seen nor would I use instead of a springlock pan and doubling if recipe was intended for that size would likely cause it to over flow.

• Raatz

Not double, but if it's thicker in the same pan, it's going to take longer to bake. If you had 2 9x13 pans, it would be the same baking time. It might take 60-65 (without a waterbath, longer with).

You'll need to switch them around in the oven. If you're using 2 oven shelves, you should also switch the top ones to the bottom and bottom ones to the top shelf half way through the cooking. Also bring the back ones to the front. It's kind of a pain in the a r s e. I'd just make the recipe twice and do 6 each time to save the hassle. But if you insist, or don't have to time for twice... switch things around as I suggested

Maybe turn the oven temperature down so the outside doesn't cook too quickly leaving you with an uncooked centre. Cook it for the normal time and check it- if its not cooked check it again after 5-10 mins and keep doing that until it is cooked!!!

yes