Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 years ago

Libs, are you OK with using the Confederate Flag to create Art?

Before you hyperventilate, you should know that the artist is African American

http://thegrio.com/2014/10/08/leo-twiggs-confedera...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Bigham
    Lv 5
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

To many the confederate flag is a symbol of independent spirit, self reliance, individuality, and a rebellious nature.

None of these things are evil...or even necessarily bad. In fact many of them are considered virtues.

However, the flag also stands for negative things to some people, obviously. Things that are definitely bad, like white supremacy type things.

Most the issues with the flag arise from people from group 1 using it to reflect their values, and people from group 2 interpreting that as an attack on theirs.

In reality no such attack was really happening most the time. One could say "get over it" because you should understand the users of the flag didn't intend that offensive meaning. One could also say "stop using it" to the users because they should understand that that some take it as that offensive meaning. There's just no good answer though.

Things like swastikas we all accept as having 1 given meaning...so when someone uses it we know it is time to be offended most the time. Things like peace signs have 1 given meaning, so when someone uses it we know not to be offended most the time. But the confederate flag just plain isn't as simple as either one of them, because it has many different meanings to different people. Some of those meanings are virtuous and healthy, some of them offensive and evil. It's a cloth dichotomy.

The best thing you can do is look at the context of the usage of the flag. If it's next to a sticker about being a proud country boy, let it go. It's probably not being used in a way that has anything to do with slavery or racism. If it's used in context with white supremacy stuff...then yeah, you should probably take offense. But happily 99% of the usages of it that I've ever seen are of the first type.

In this particular case, he seems to be using it in the white supremacy context, but as speaking out against it. I don't see why I'd be offended by that.

• 6 years ago

The Confederate flag is a piece of cloth. As long as it is legal to burn or otherwise desecrate the American flag... the symbol of our country... then we can't criticize the use of other symbols either.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Not a problem if it's used as a symbol of the hatred and bigotry that existed to expose it. That's quite different from the guys in the pickup trucks with "The South will rise again" bumper stickers. As if the dissolution of a system where a few people had all the land and most of the money wasn't the best thing that ever happened to them!

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

For hundreds of years Blacks right up unto the 1960s, crimes against humanity were perpetrated by White Southern Christians as they raped, tortured and lynched hundreds of thousands in those long years.

http://www.afrostyly.com/english/afro/diverse/lync...

These crimes against humanity legally are/were no different than the crimes against humanity perpetrated by the vile Nazis on the Jews.

In Germany and all over the word the SWASTIKA flag represents those crimes against humanity and in a few countries including Germany it is ILLEGAL to show the Swastika

To Blacks ,the Confederate Flag represents a society that raped,tortured and lynched Blacks at will and like the Jews rightly demanding the Swastika be banned, the Confederate Flag must be banned

Yea yea I know,to racists it is never ever the same thing .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Since the confederate flag is being portrayed negatively, I don't think libs would have a problem. Put a cross in a jar of urine and libs would like it even more.

• 6 years ago

Sure. Jasper John's did some great art with the good old stars and stripes as well. Why would you think it would bother them?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Why should we be not okay with it?

It is an important part of our history, a reminder of what this country went through to get where we are today, and I am sure that is what the artist is thinking as well!

• 6 years ago

I am conflicted. On the one hand, art is meant to make the viewer think. On the other hand, symbols of bigotry and hate should be left to the annals of history.

• Jeff
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

I love the confederate flag bro! When i see it on a pickup truck i know that the occupants are idiot meth cookers out on parole that i need to avoid.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

free speech is awesome, as long as lib sheeple agree with it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.