Why don't I like romance novels?

As you probably know, most girls my age are swooning over books like Twilight and The Fault in Our Stars. But romance novels just don't do it for me. It's not that I hate love or anything.. I don't know.

Maybe it's all of the cliches. I can predict the end of most romance novels without even reading the second page.

So, are there any original/unique romance novels for teenage girls? Thanks.

• Jo
    Favorite Answer

You would have to ask yourself "why". Some people just don't. I'm older - and even as a young person - I did not like romance novels. I did not like the cliched plots and words. I did not like the predictability. I did not like the "no point" to it. I did not like the "one is just like another". Like reading the same thing over and over and over - with different names and hair colors. Back then I didn't get through the first one without tossing it and never picking up another one. I preferred - even as a young reader a book or story with some substance.

Why don't you try Betty Smith - she wrote "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" and "Maggie-Now" and "Tomorrow will be Better" and "Joy in the Morning". These are old books so you might have to go through Amazon used book section. Again, these are old books - so will be dated - won't have computers and cell phones, sex and such in them. But they are about young women and growing up and are very, very good. Books don't have to be written "last year" to be good and relevant. "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott is also older but very good. "Boys Life" by Robert McCammon is also very good.

I would say there really aren't any "unique/romance" novels for young girls. I would say there is nothing "unique" about romance novels at all. They all follow the same formulaic pattern.

Why don't you expand your horizons beyond the boundaries of "teenage girl"? Read "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo. "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Keep in mind the settings and people will be dated as I said above. Won't have all the modern stuff in them. But expand your mind - not only are they very good books - but it does show how life was before all the stuff that has come up in the last few years - and how people lived and dealt with things. These books could even give young people the idea that being glued to cell phones and texting wasn't always a way of life. That people could - and did - get along without these things.

There's no law that says that you HAVE to like romance novels. Personally, I commend you on your good sense! If you're looking for something good to read, then how about trying different kinds of novels? For example, you might try science fiction (there's a lot of SF being done by women writers, these days), historical fiction (books set in the Old West, or the Middle Ages, or ancient Rome, for instance), detective stories (a.k.a. "police procedurals") or pure fantasy (i.e. the Harry Potter books). There's literally a whole world of books from which you can choose. Have fun!

lol, I actually find romance so corny and predictable sometimes UNLESS it's like a paranormal romance because then it has more of a story. I aboslutely DESPISE Nicholas Spark's romance because everything is too "movie" like.

you should try princess diaries series, generation dead trilogy, before I die by jenny downham. Just have to look around for a good one with maybe a good backstory.

• KTR

I've read a few of them in my time, but they are just not my cup of tea. Give some other genres a try, such as horror. Nothing wrong with not liking the romances; some of them are just hokey beyond belief.

Because you just don't .

• Raatz

They tend to be badly written, hockey, predictable and totally clichéd. I do like love stories, but they have to be exemplary. See if any of these suit you:

http://airshipdaily.com/blog/02102014-books-about-...

Idk you so I can't say why. It's probably because you're not interested in the stereotypical romances.