Am I the bad employee?

I just got my "big break" career with the Water Dept. of Phila as a instrumentation tech 1 after years of waiting.

All duties are completed out in the field at stations through out the city in 2 man teams. I'm the youngest guy at 26yrs and I just want the work. I keep to myself and have little to nothing to say most of the time unless it about the job.

My coworkers complaint that I don't talk enough and make me do everything except driving. My daily partner slams doors as a result, why me?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it sounds like you come across as having a bad attitude. No-one wants to work with someone who is sullen and silent. I'm not suggesting you start telling racist jokes or anything but you have to develop a work personality, also called "being professional". That means that you converse with your co-workers in a friendly way and make every effort to be a team player to get the job done.

It doesn't sound like you're being asked to do anything untoward so I'm not sure why you appear to have a chip on your shoulder. Yes, you should be focusing on the job but part of the job is working with others and getting along well with a variety of people. This will stand you in good stead for your career and it happens to be good advice so I hope you take it.

From my experience, guys who work for public utilities departments are true ballbusters, and they don't mean a thing by it.

It doesn't make them bad people. They are trying to make you feel

welcome and you have your panties in a bunch.

Being the new guy, you get all the dirty work. This is a common practice no matter where you go.

Lighten up. If you don't, you are going to be miserable and you won't last at all.

well you do seem anti social but if that is how you want to be that is up to you

as-long as you do your job well and work in a safe manner no-one can do anything

George? Thet yew, George!?!

if yu have to ask here, I would venture to say yep