Am I the bad employee?

Update:

I just got my "big break" career with the Water Dept. of Phila as a instrumentation tech 1 after years of waiting.

All duties are completed out in the field at stations through out the city in 2 man teams. I'm the youngest guy at 26yrs and I just want the work. I keep to myself and have little to nothing to say most of the time unless it about the job.

My coworkers complaint that I don't talk enough and make me do everything except driving. My daily partner slams doors as a result, why me?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it sounds like you come across as having a bad attitude. No-one wants to work with someone who is sullen and silent. I'm not suggesting you start telling racist jokes or anything but you have to develop a work personality, also called "being professional". That means that you converse with your co-workers in a friendly way and make every effort to be a team player to get the job done.

It doesn't sound like you're being asked to do anything untoward so I'm not sure why you appear to have a chip on your shoulder. Yes, you should be focusing on the job but part of the job is working with others and getting along well with a variety of people. This will stand you in good stead for your career and it happens to be good advice so I hope you take it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

From my experience, guys who work for public utilities departments are true ballbusters, and they don't mean a thing by it.

It doesn't make them bad people. They are trying to make you feel

welcome and you have your panties in a bunch.

Being the new guy, you get all the dirty work. This is a common practice no matter where you go.

Lighten up. If you don't, you are going to be miserable and you won't last at all.

• 6 years ago

well you do seem anti social but if that is how you want to be that is up to you

as-long as you do your job well and work in a safe manner no-one can do anything

• 6 years ago

George? Thet yew, George!?!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

if yu have to ask here, I would venture to say yep

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.