?
? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Would we be in Iraq today if Bill Clinton and Al Gore had not spent 8 years telling us Saddam was re-acquiring WMD?

Would George W. Bush alone have been able to convince anybody that Saddam was trying to restart his WMD program, unless Bill Clinton and Al Gore had spent the preceding 8 years convincing everybody of it?

And no, these were not the WMD that were used on the Kurds. That was years before Clinton took office. Clinton and Gore stated with certainty that Saddam was making new WMD.

Now we know it was a lie. Would we be in Iraq today if Clinton/Gore had not spent 8 years lying to us about WMD?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENAV_UoIfgc

President Clinton orders attack on Iraq in 1998

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h6gehCPvpk

Gore To Bush: You Ignored Saddam's Terrorist Ties!

Al Gore lashes out face-to-face at President Bush, Sr. in 1992, accusing him of failing to act on Saddam's nuclear weapons and WMD programs.

The time has come to stop blaming Bush alone.

It's time for Democrats to start shouldering their share of the blame for starting the WMD hysteria that led directly to our current involvement in Iraq.

This can not be a case where one side is wrong and the other is blameless. Both sides deserve their share of the blame for this mess.

Favorite Answer

Bush and the Vulcans (Cheney, Rice, etc.) would have had a MUCH harder time convincing Congress to approve the resolution approving the 2003 invasion of Iraq if Clinton and Gore hadn't spent so much time making their case for them. Not that this absolves Bush for having used some questionable judgment. But a lot of us agreed with him back then. I'm sorry I did; I lost a son in that war.

But I did, on the information I had (not great, in retrospect) agree with Mr. Bush - and Mr. Gore and Mr. Clinton. If I'm honest enough to admit this, the Democrats (almost all of whom voted for the war with Iraq in 2003) could at least man up and do the same.

No doubt about it, Clinton was a war-monger. Bush and Cheney even ran a campaign which opposed "Clinton Style Nationbuilding Programs"

But 9-11 changed the mood of the American people and we were anxious to strike out at anyone who even looked at us with disrespect, and that is why Bush attacked Afghanistan and Iraq. He would have taken Iran and Syria too if things hadn't gone so badly in Iraq.

But its ok. Obama had the Saudis send arms to overthrow Assad, and they created ISIL. So now he has an excuse to send our troops back in and finish the job of invading Syria.

• I see you bought the Democrats' LIES about why we went to Iraq.

Stuff about "WMDs" was merely an ancillary point - a reason for doing it "sooner rather than later." It had NOTHING TO DO with the stated reasons for the invasion itself - only for the TIMING of it.

Saddam started a war in 1991. That war was STILL ONGOING when W took the wheel, and was under a state of ":cease-fire," the terms of which Saddam was routinely flouting. thus thousands of years of international law, precedent and tradition REQUIRED resumption of force sufficient to END his regime and with such being the goal.

This was all VERY CLEARLY articulated at the time.

• ?

So that excuses Bush and Cheney? The Bush administration is forgiven of its ACTIONS of war crimes and sending America troops to die, because of the WORDS of the Clinton administration?

I think we would, yes. Bush was the decider. And he had other justifications besides the wmd's. He kept citing broken treaties, remember?

It doesn't matter what people said who were not in power, not capable of making war. GW Bush was the one who gets credit for the actual action, for our failure in Iraq. Bush failed to plan the war properly, he told lies to get into it (and it doesn't matter who agreed with the lies, they were still lies!), and kept the war going for years and years after it was clear we couldn't prevail. The war is Bush's war, the failure is Bush's failure.

I blame Reagan for being white and bow to President Obama for killing all the terrorists in the world all by himself.

Still trying to absolve George Bush Jr. of all responsibility for the Iraq war.

• ?

If they would have done something about Osama during their term 9/11 and everything since probably wouldn't have happened.

• Tim M

Nice try but you skipped over the biggest blunder in American History and I know I don't have to remind you who it is.....