Richard asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 years ago

Which progressive value should take precedence?

In India, the Proctor & Gamble company is currently running an advertising campaign with the goal of helping women overcome the local taboos associated with menstrual cycles. Some people have objected to this imposition of Western values on the Indian people.

Which ideal should have precedence, empowering women or avoiding cultural imperialism?

Favorite Answer

It depends on the taboos which are in place. And is it based on superstition. For example, is menstruation considered "dirty" or "unhygenic" - which clearly it is not. Are menstuating women considered "unclean" - clearly, also, an attitude that springs from the dark ages. I'm glad Proctor&Gamble are making these adverts - good on them. And I don't care what the reason behind it is. I work with an Asian woman who comes from a very traditional background, and the myths and superstitions make their lives very hard. Good for progress.

• EB

This only makes sense if you consider not being ignorant a 'western value'. We have many things in the west, like running water and inside plumbing and an absence of slums. Would you consider introducing these things to more of India 'cultural imperialism'?

• RAWR

how feminist of them, to try and breakdown "taboos" around menstruation so that more indian women will buy their menstrual products rather than use the same ones they themselves have been making for several thousand years just fine :) maybe next they will do something actually feminist and pay the millions of women working in slave conditions in their indian factories more than a few cents a day :) my my, white men sure do like "feminism" a whole lot all of a sudden when its making them money, don't they :)

whats so taboo about menstrual cycles? It's the fact of life. If they are too embarrassed to even acknowledge it imagine what other things they have issues with.