Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWrestling · 5 years ago

Wrestling Section: What do you think about these WWE Wrestlers from the Attitude Era (1997-2001)?

The list of top 50 wrestlers:

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin

2. The Rock

3. Triple H

4. Undertaker

5. Mick Foley (Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love)

6. Kane

7. Kurt Angle

8. Shawn Michaels

9. Bret "Hitman" Hart

10. Chris Jericho

11. Big Show

12. Chris Benoit

13. Edge and Christian

14. The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff Hardy)

15. The New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg and Billy Gunn)

16. The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley)

17. Owen Hart

18. Ken Shamrock

19. Big Boss Man

20. APA (Faarooq and Bradshaw)

21. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith

22. Val Venis

23. The Godfather

24. D'Lo Brown

25. Mark Henry

26. Jeff Jarrett

27. Vader

28. The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk)

29. X-Pac

30. Eddie Guerrero

31. Dean Malenko

32. Perry Saturn

33. Gangrel

34. "The Lethal Weapon" Steve Blackman

35. Al Snow

36. Hardcore Holly

37. "Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman

38. Goldust

39. Rikishi

40. Too Cool (Grandmaster Sexay and Scotty 2 Hotty)

41. Test

42. Droz and Prince Albert

43. Chainshaw Charlie (Terry Funk)

44. William Regal

45. Tajiri

46. Ahmed Johnson

47. Raven

48. Rhyno

49. Vince McMahon

50. Shane McMahon

60. Other_______(Any other WWE Wrestlers from the attitude era is not on the list?)

Divas:

1. Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley

2. Trish Stratus

3. Lita

4. Chyna

5. Sable

6. Ivory

7. Jacqueline

8. Tori

9. Molly Holly

10. Debra

11. Terri

12. Sunny

13. The Kat

14. The Fabulous Moolah

15. Mae Young

Do you agree with the list of wrestlers from the Attitude Era?

BQ: What do you think about these WWE Champions from the Attitude Era?

WWE Champions (1997-2001)

WWE Championship: Steve Austin

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho

WWE European Championship: British Bulldog

WWE Tag Team Championship: Edge and Christian

WWE Hardcore Championship: Big Boss Man

WWE Light Heavyweight Championship: X-Pac

WWE Women's Championship: Stephanie McMahon

What was your opinion of this list of WWE Wrestlers from the Attitude Era (1997-2001)?

Favorite Answer

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin: he was cool and edgy, he wanted to open cans of beer AND whoopass!

2. The Rock: good looking, catchphrase city, and he had a few cool moves to seal the crowd favourite deal

3. Triple H: he was just plain awesome, the Pedigree was a great finisher, and he had real charisma.

4. Undertaker: all time great, legendary wrestling "monster", and made a "silly" gimmick scary.

5. Mick Foley (Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love): Class act, best example of putting ones body on the line

6. Kane: great monster character, worked spectacularly well with Undertaker, had the image down pat.

7. Kurt Angle: all american Olympic hero, he had impeccable wrestling credentials and lived up to them.

8. Shawn Michaels: looks and charisma, not my cup of tea but he sure was a sexy boy (and put effort in)

9. Bret "Hitman" Hart: great wrestler who had a great image to go with, style and substance combined.

10. Chris Jericho: great finisher, great personality and mic work, all good stuff with Chris

11. Big Show: huge man, who could actually wrestle at an acceptable level. got better as time went on.

12. Chris Benoit: reminds me of the tragic hero of a Greek play. he flew too close to the sun - disaster.

13. Edge and Christian: awesome vampire dudes who revealed they were awesome wrestlers too!

14. The Hardy Boyz (Matt and Jeff Hardy): great wrestlers, Matt was more functional, Jeff more fancy.

15. The New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg and Billy Gunn): bad *** guys with great characters, good skills.

16. The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley): big guys who will marmalise you every which way!

17. Owen Hart: had the potential to surpass his brother - then disaster struck. a martyr of sorts.

18. Ken Shamrock: the world's most dangerous man wasn't a gimmick, it was official! monstrous wrestler.

19. Big Boss Man: you better watch out boy or you'll be serving hard times! put cobb county on the map :p

20. APA (Faarooq and Bradshaw): a pair of mean hombres if ever there was one!

21. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith: I loved him...but I am British, so it's somewhat biased :p

22. Val Venis: classic example of a very silly gimmick working very well, an underrated, great wrestler too!

23. The Godfather: see Val Venis, but not as good a wrestler, the gimmick may have worked better though

24. D'Lo Brown: very good wrestler, bit of a daft character - loses points there, although I liked him for it.

25. Mark Henry: classic wrestling strongman, and he could back the world's strongest man claims up!

26. Jeff Jarrett: style over substance, but I'm rather fond of ol' JJ. I found him really rather inoffensive.

27. Vader: very poorly used in WWE - he should be been on Kane's level by rights. bring back Vader time!

28. The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk): a pair of REALLY mean hombres if ever there was one!

29. X-Pac: I hear people didn't like him - I thought he was hilarious! certainly no all-time great, though.

30. Eddie Guerrero: never got into him, he was just a damn fine wrestler though

31. Dean Malenko: I prefer Joe Malenko, sorry :p he's very very good though, he was somewhat misused.

32. Perry Saturn: awesome guy! kicked *** and didn't bother taking names!

33. Gangrel: a "gimmick" wrestler (vampire) who was actually very good in the ring...rather fond of him!

34. "The Lethal Weapon" Steve Blackman: KO'd Bradshaw for real. Says it all - he's a lethal weapon!

35. Al Snow: We all need a little head sometimes. Man could wrestle well too.

36. Hardcore Holly: no great shakes, but all good stuff here.

37. "Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman: he kinda passed me by.

38. Goldust: interesting, unique character. fantastic in-ring physicality. I'm glad he returned to WWE.

39. Rikishi: one dimensional and daft, but not egregiously bad or anything.

40. Too Cool (Grandmaster Sexay and Scotty 2 Hotty): daft and silly, but I liked them because of it.

41. Test: cool guy, I liked the dynamics of him being really tall but not "that" well built. gone too soon.

42. Droz and Prince Albert: these guys were just awesome, definitely not to everyone's taste though!

43. Chainshaw Charlie (Terry Funk): hardcore legend

44. William Regal: brilliant wrestler, proud that he's from England, he never let the side down!

45. Tajiri: stiff Japanese wrestlers are two a penny - this guy was a cut above, though.

46. Ahmed Johnson: only skin deep appeal.

47. Raven: cool chap, good hardcore wrestler, decent character to boot.

48. Rhyno: everyone I knew hated the war machine, but I've always liked him. capable of good matches.

49. Vince McMahon: the archetypal "boss" figure, and he was the boss after all. interesting man.

50. Shane McMahon: no comment

60. Taka Michinoku: undersized but had superb wrestling and acrobatic ability. great finisher too.

61. Steve Williams: oh what could have been...fate makes fools of us all. RIP

62. The Headbangers (Thrasher and Mosh): real men wear skirts! in Scotland, anyway!

63. Funaki: capable of so much more than the average fan got to see, still gave a good impression.

64. Kurrgan: cool character, very interesting. below average ring skills though.

65. Dan Severn: he didn't have the physique, the charisma, or the mic skills, but his wrestling was king.

Divas:

1. Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley: interesting

2. Trish Stratus: cool name

3. Lita: meh

4. Chyna: AWESOME

5. Sable: good stuff

6. Ivory: ehh

7. Jacqueline: ho hum

8. Tori: uhh

9. Molly Holly: okay...

10. Debra: sigh

11. Terri: oh dear

12. Sunny: Delight? I don't think so.

13. The Kat: meow

14. The Fabulous Moolah: pretty fabulous, I have to admit

15. Mae Young: I know what you're thinking...and that says it all.

Do you agree with the list of wrestlers from the Attitude Era? Agree? It's just a list of wrestlers, what's to agree with? Yes, they're from the Attitude Era...

Update : BQ: What do you think about these WWE Champions from the Attitude Era?

WWE Champions (1997-2001)

WWE Championship: Steve Austin HELL YEAH!

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho BREAK THE WALLS DOWN!

WWE European Championship: British Bulldog RULE BRITANNIA!

WWE Tag Team Championship: Edge and Christian TIME FOR A BLOODBATH!

WWE Hardcore Championship: Big Boss Man HE CARRIES A BIG STICK, A BALL AND CHAIN TOO!

WWE Light Heavyweight Championship: X-Pac BOW TO THE MASTER!

WWE Women's Championship: Stephanie McMahon NEPOTISM!

Update 2: What was your opinion of this list of WWE Wrestlers from the Attitude Era (1997-2001)?

It's a list...it was pretty extensive, although not comprehensive. Dave Hytmen rags on the Attitude Era, and whilst I agree with him about the whole "Era" bit, this list proves why people are so enamoured with the idea of it - just look at the depth and breadth of wrestling talent there was! WWE today pales in comparison in that regard.

• Candle

1. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Modern day legend of the business.

2. The Rock - Same.

3. Triple H - A great stalwart worker who could hold the fort down with strong work ethic when we lost Steve and The Rock to hollywood and retirement

4. Undertaker - Legend, conscience of the locker room.

5. Mick Foley (Mankind/Cactus Jack/Dude Love) - Love Mick, he's my hero in a lot of ways. Most of which have nothing to do with professional wrestling.

6. Kane - Kane was a good short term idea that kind of outlived it's relevance quickly.

7. Kurt Angle - Best wrestler in the world.

8. Shawn Michaels - One of the best wrestlers in the world.

9. Bret "Hitman" Hart - Overrated.

10. Chris Jericho - Great worker, never quite found his legs in the main event for whatever reason.

11. Big Show - Talented big man.

12.

13. Edge and Christian - Great tag team, be it as brooding vampires or hilarious Canadian surfer dudes

14. The Hardy Boyz - Great tag team who've had a pretty rough ride. Glad to see them clean and working

15. The New Age Outlaws (Road Dogg and Billy Gunn) - Underrated tag tandem. In a lot of ways, the perfect formula for a tag team.

16. The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley) - Legendary tag champions wherever they go.

17. Owen Hart - Great worker, more entertaining and talented than Bret. Totally not a nugget.

18. Ken Shamrock - Ken could have and should have been bigger than he was.

19. Big Boss Man - Underrated big man worker, although his stuff in the Attitude Era tends to get crapped on, and deservedly so in some cases.

20. APA (Faarooq and Bradshaw) - Awesome badass tag team. Were once the highlight of Smackdown for me.

21. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith - Phenomenal big man wrestler who worked like a scientist.

22. Val Venis - Great midcard hand.

23. The Godfather - Great midcard hand

24. D'Lo Brown - Great midcard hand. Always loved D'Lo

25. Mark Henry - Mark looks like a monster, and has gotten better over the years, but Sexual Chocolate definitely wasn't his career highlight.

26. Jeff Jarrett - The most middle-of-the-road mediocre man in the world. A true jack of all trades, and a master of none.

27. Vader - Undervalued monster of a talent.

28. The Road Warriors (Animal and Hawk) - One of, if not the, greatest tag team of all time.

29. X-Pac - Great worker who gets too much heat. Glad he's cleaning up, too.

30. Eddie Guerrero - Legendary performer who oozed charisma.

31. Dean Malenko - Great midcard hand.

32. Perry Saturn - I always thought Saturn could be used better than he was. He looks like a mercenary to me. He should've been a hired gun for big timers.

33. Gangrel - Gangrel is an anomaly to me. Vampire in froofy shirt wearing jeans and snakeskin boots? Strange.

34. "The Lethal Weapon" Steve Blackman - I always liked Steve Blackman. While I don't think he should've ever main evented, he could've been less of a joke.

35. Al Snow - See Steve Blackman.

36. Hardcore Holly - See Steve Blackman

37. "Loose Cannon" Brian Pillman - The James Dean of professional wrestling. Pillman could have been such a big deal.

38. Goldust - One of the worst gimmicks in the world done in the best possible way. Dustin's one hell of a worker, too. Kind of wanted a world title run for him at one point in the 90's

39. Rikishi - Talented Samoans, they're a dime a dozen. Rikishi's no different.

40. Too Cool (Grandmaster Sexay and Scotty 2 Hotty) - I remember hating them with a grin on my face. Almost so bad it's good.

41. Test - Test should've been more than he turned out to be. Always liked him.

42. Droz and Prince Albert - Never was a huge Droz fan, but always thought Albert was slighted. Should've kept him A-Train.

43. Chainshaw Charlie (Terry Funk) - Funny little send up to his protege Mick.

44. William Regal - The epitome of worst case scenario. Every time Regal found legs, something in his personal life would hit self destruct.

45. Tajiri - Talented and enjoyable to watch

46. Ahmed Johnson - I liked Ahmed. He was horrible, but I liked him.

47. Raven - Probably the most underutilized talents of the past 30 years. Faced some similar problems as Regal with both personal demons and the booking team

48. Rhyno - Loved Rhyno. Such a unique new dynamic for a powerhouse worker.

49. Vince McMahon - Biggest heel in wrestling history

50. Shane McMahon - Most beloved spot monkey in wrestling history.

• Why the hell you skipped number 11 Chris Benoit? What's up with that?

I think they are all awesome but my favorites are Shawn michaels, Triple h, stone cold steve austin, undertaker, Kane, the hardy boys , Dudley boyz , Lita , and trish stratus. I think they are the best wrestlers that wwe attitude era ever had. They are all great wrestlers it's just sad that that they aren't in the wwe anymore or rarely wrestle now.

• Most of them are great. I admit, some of them I never really cared for. It was a time where everyone was trying to out-perform other superstars, so the standards really got high, which was detrimental for some superstars who couldn't quite get there.

HBK, Stone Cold, and Rock are tied for my number 1 spot. It's a three-way tie. Can't pick, they're all too good at what they do.

Perry Saturn

Wrestling today sucks! TNA is awful. Sting was trying to be like Heath Ledger's Joker. I went to go see them last June in Vegas, over 60% of the arena was empty.

Chicken Wang

I love to watch WWE westleing with my great grandson and he use to like Thriple H until he change and started durning things he is durning that he know is not right all I can say to that is what goes around comes a round evil don't last always

my favorite hardcore champ of all time was crash holly. he made it interesting with the 24/7 rule. he is very underrated.

stone cold is definitely the best the attitude era has to offer. vince himself called him the best wrestler of all time.

The days when "professional" wrestling meant something