Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 years ago

What is your reaction to Obama's "Latte Salute" to saluting Marines at attention?

NEWSMAX 9/24/14

Many Say Obama's 'Latte Salute' a Sign of Disrespect for Military

President Barack Obama stepped off Marine One on Tuesday and distractedly saluted Marines with a disposable coffee cup in hand — a clumsy gesture dubbed the "latte salute" that went viral on social media, and triggered a storm of criticism.

Military Times reported that White House aides posted the video — taken as the commander in chief was on his way to the United Nations.

and Twitter users scolded the gesture as disrespectful.

Allen West tweeted the salute was proof Obama has no respect for the military.

ABC News noted the unorthodox salute was dubbed the "latte salute," while the Washington Times used "Semper, Latte" in its headline on the gaffe.

The salute is "the most important of all military courtesies," the Daily Caller quoted a Marine Corps manual stating.

"In some situations, the salute is not appropriate," according to the manual, the Daily Caller reports. "In general, do not salute when … carrying articles with both hands or being otherwise so occupied as to make saluting impractical."

The newspaper reports the salute has become protocol since the Reagan White House years.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's disappointing to see such things, the military should be shown more respect than that, especially from a president.

However, as a man with such huge responsibility could his mind have been elsewhere, I'm sure he has a great many things to consider and deal with on a daily basis.

This is not a defence of such action, as a veteran I fully understand how much of an insult that truly was.

Also was it intentionally done, I seriously doubt it.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

The President is the civilian leader of the military, not a uniformed officer; it should never had been accepted as protocol under Reagan. The civilian control of our military has been a cornerstone of American democracy and is why we don't have military uniforms for our Commander in Cheif nor did they return salutes until Reagan broke that tradition. The Latte Salute was probably illadvised but also not symbolic of disrespect. But the President should not be saluting in the first place.

• 6 years ago

I am NO fan of Obama, but this is a non-story. Yapping about stuff like this is like crying "wolf".

The other side is already circulating a picture of Bush giving a half-hearted salute while he holds his dog.

Focus on the important stuff. This is WAY down the list.

• Cody
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

When compared to all the other Obama administration scandals, the "latte salute" is relatively unimportant.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Of course it was ''President'' Obama thinks about how he walks, what he going to say, how he holds his head, how he walks down stairs, that was very disrepectful

• 6 years ago

It just shows Obama being Obama, much like his boredom with much of his presidential duties. LOL

• 6 years ago

I think it was just a distraction from Benghazi and you fell for it.

• John W
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Better latte then never?

• Jeff
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Cons,... Always looking to establish a police state junta LOL

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Nobody in the military takes him seriously anyway.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.