Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

Scared of taking the birth control pill Ortho Tri-Cyclen?

I'm 18. I just got prescribed birth control for the first time from my local planned parenthood for PMS symptoms and pregnancy protection. I was prescribed ortho tri-cyclen. I looked up how people liked it and a lot of people complained of all these horrible symptoms like weight gain, nausea and vomiting, worsened acne and mood swings, even someone went into the emergency room for a blood clot in their lung. I'm really scared to start taking it now and wonder if it's even worth it. I'm wondering what you guys think and what your experiences were if you were on this pill? Thanks

• MissA
    Favorite Answer

OTC-lo is a VERY popular birth control pill. When I was taking it ten years ago it was the most popular birth control pill in America (it may still be, haven't checked). It's actually been approved by the FDA as an acne *treatment*. Most other pills can not claim that. Something like half a million women take it every day. They aren't posting their stories because those stories *aren't interesting*. I don't go and post "had an adequate sandwich today" either... but if I have a terrible sandwich, I might be inclined to discuss it:)

Every single drug, down to baby aspirin, has some risks and some of those risks can be dangerous. The pill is no exception. But for a healthy young woman with no other risk factors, it's really a very safe drug. And if you do develop unpleasant side effects... all you have to do is stop taking it. It's that simple.

If you're looking for a really reliable method of contraception you're pretty much stuck with hormonal birth control, all of which has similar or worse risks to ortho-tri-cyclen lo, or the Paragard IUD, which also has its own risks and side effects, but you could look into that if HBC really stresses you that much. In general any or all methods of birth control are safer and less unpleasant than pregnancy.

• judy

this pill is really old, I was given it 40 years ago, if it wasn't safe, it would have been pulled long ago,