Can I live alone if I have high functioning autism?

• Feivel
    Favorite Answer

I am married and live with my wife and have HFA. I am a teacher and live a fairly normal life. Most people with HFA can certainly live alone.

For that matter, Albert Einstein had HFA and he was able to lead a BEYOND productive life although I guess...to be honest, he never lived alone. I think his sister lived with him for most of his life and maybe someone else so perhaps that was not a good example.

I think Temple Grandin lives alone. Darryl Hannah lives alone. Jerry and Mary Newport both lived alone before they got married to each other. I think Clay Marzo lives alone. John Elder Robinson currently lives alone I think. I think Jim Sinclair lives alone and Donna Williams has lived alone in her life. Susan Boyle has lived alone most of her life. Pip Brown lives alone and I think Craig Nicholls does as well (although after he cancelled his tour with the Vines he may have moved back home).

At any rate, my point is that many people on the autism spectrum live alone. If you think you need help working on life skills to get you there, then do that with someone but yes, more than likely, you can live alone with no problem.

• Lili
      5 years agoReport

There is actually no reason to believe that Einstein was autistic, high functioning or otherwise. A lot of historical figures are put on lists of autistics or dyslexics with no real scientific reason to believe that they belong there.

• Lili

Without knowing you, it's impossible to say, but if you're not intellectually impaired and can handle the basic responsibilities of living on your own -- paying your rent and bills, feeding yourself decently, getting to your job (which presumably would earn you enough to live on) -- then there's no reason why you can't live alone.

If you're not high-functioning enough to work, though, if you're receiving some form of disability/social security money, then you may not be capable of living safely on your own. You'd need to be evaluated an assessed by specialists.

yes you can live alone as long as you think you can get through your daily needs I also know there are people out that can come and check in on you and help you with things you need help with each week or your parents can do that or your friends and yes you can live alone and you can also live alone with outside help