Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

John W
Lv 7
John W asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

My Company is offering a payout for my retirement, Should the government do the same for Social Security?

Update:

I am not near retirement yet

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That would be fine with me.

But there is no way the government would let go of that amount of money, not to mention control.

• 7 years ago

There is no money available to give payouts. Since 2011 or so, distributions to current retirees exceed the amount of contributions into the system.

Some people have said that they will let the government just keep all the money they have paid in so far in exchange from being relieved of the obligation to continue paying into the system. The government won't permit that, either. Once it is possible to opt out of Social Security, the system will collapse. That's why some people compare it to a ponzi scheme.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No, our government should not offer a buy out. If anything our government should strengthen Social Security.

Several of us at my work are in our sixties and would like to retire. But the calls for screwing us out of our Social Security and our pensions have us scared. So we figure as long as we have our health we'll keep working.

In the normal order of things we would retire and thereby open up a position for younger folks. It's another example of how the GOP screws people over without even trying.

• 7 years ago

Sure. If you are willing to starve and not be a burden on taxpayers after you blow through your payout.

And btw: your company is not offering a payout for you benefit but for theirs. If you figure the present value of what you are likely to get by waiting I'm pretty sure you will find it is a lot more that the present value of a payout. Get professional advice before taking it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • justa
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No because if your retirement funds are invested in the stock market and it tanks during your dotage, you'll be coming to the government to bail yourass out.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The government does not pay all of your future benefits at one time. No one knows how long you will live.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

People who want to retire (stop contributing and start vegetating) should save up for it themselves. I am opposed to pensions

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

All the money is gone. Besides most people are so stupid they would blow it all and be helpless in their old age.

• yes... and PARTICULARLY for medicare... and NO backsies...

many cons would jump at it... and we would save TRILLIONS over the next 100 years

EDIT: pass a spending bill for $50 billion... no biggie... put it on the debt and it would save 100 times as much in the long run...

• Pixie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Sure would be better in our hands than the 1.02% interest we get from them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.