Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 6 years ago

I identify myself as gay, but as a virgin can I donate blood?

I'm 18 and I've never donated blood. I've always identified myself as gay and I haven't lost my virginity yet-- I've been getting pretty serious with someone over the past few months.

Anyway, I'd feel really good about myself if I donated blood 'legally' at least once before the 'deed is done.'

How do they even track sexual orientation?

Thanks!

I live in the US by the way!

Favorite Answer

In the United States, deferral is based on FDA-defined high risk activity, not sexual orientation. Homosexual males who have not engaged in MSM activity since 1977 are not deferred from volunteer blood donation.

Blood donation eligibility guidelines are determined by the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), a division of the Food and Drug Administration. While current FDA regulations require indefinite deferral for any male-sex-male (MSM) contact, even once, since 1977, The American Red Cross and America's Blood Centers (AmericasBlood.org) have both requested changing the deferral to 12 months since last contact. Canada just changed the deferral period to 5 years and the United Kingdom changed the deferral to 12 months in 2011.

Information of MSM and blood donation may be found at the FDA web site, listed below:

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBlo...

Source(s): Medical Director - regional blood center

i don't think your sexual orientation stops you from giving blood. all blood gets tested for std and other blood illnesses before put into use. so it wont stop you. they may as but it's just typing they do same as asking your race.