If someone displays or wears a confederate flag emblem, what assumptions do you make about that individual?

Bonus question: do you ever bother questioning those assumptions that you make?

Favorite Answer

1. well the first wrong assumption is that the stars and bars is the confederate flag.

2. the flag that most progressives equate with being the confederate flag -- is actually a battle flag - flown by the US in the civil war, WW l and WW ll

3. the next wrong assumption - is to think the civil war was just about slavery and that anyone who displays the battle flag, is some how a racist that wants slavery to return

4. remember, the US flag flew over slavery for 86 years -- does that make the US flag -- a flag of slavery ?

5. now why people fly the battle flag ?

a. it looks kool as hell

b. they know it piss's off progressives

c. family pride. state pride -- you really expect someone to disown their great great grandfather simply because they fought in the civil war for the confederate side

6. have you ever noticed, the same people who are against the battle flag being flown, have no problem with mexican immgrants - both legal and illegal flying the mexican flag in the US

even through we went to war with mexico

That they are from the south.

Personally I can't understand why the Confederacy chose to go with such an ugly looking flag anyway. I'd have thrown some more vibrant colors in there. I mean, you want to be lively about your cause and distance yourself from the Union right? Yet they chose to use the same colors as the very country they were rebelling against. And the pattern is so unimaginative a preschool student could have done better. I mean, where was the creativity at? Southern pride my butt! They obviously were not too proud if that weak flag design was the best they had.

lol. Bet you didn't expect anyone to give a artistic critic of the confederate flag, did you?

• ?

I assume they like the confederate flag.

Bonus answer; It isn't a broad assumption in need of questioning.

I would assume he's doing it because either he thinks it makes him edgy or he just doesn't know what he's tacitly endorsing. I'm not one of those people who shrieks about racism at every opportunity. By the way, I've never seen anyone with a confederate flag on his vehicle or clothing firsthand despite living in the Midwest for most of my life and traveling throughout the south. It's one of those stereotypes I see on TV (racist hillbilly with confederate flag and bad hygiene) but not in real life.

• CC

I would assume they favor some aspect of the southern states of the US.

Yes, if I was curious, I would question the person wearing the confederate flag and ask them why they wear it.

I try not to assume what a person thinks as I am not a mind reader. I presume that they may not realize that some find it a symbol of racism. Either that or, they just want to give everyone a big middle finger.

• mokrie

From the south and proud of their heritage. I wouldn't assume racism as many are just proud to have been descended from people that served in the civil war.

From the south and proud of the fact that majority of American war hero's were from the south

Probably from the south. Sure I question my assumptions.

One assumption is that they probably wouldn't want to be seen eating at the same table as me.

Am I right or am I right?