I need some guitar action help/advice please?

Hey my fellow guitarists I have a 83'/84' kramer pacer guitar with a floyd on it and I just recently got back into the whole I wanna shred again phase anyway here's the problem I have, its set up great for rythem playing which I used to do in my old band im no longer with them anymore, anyway(im not a... show more Hey my fellow guitarists
I have a 83'/84' kramer pacer guitar with a floyd on it and I just recently got back into the whole I wanna shred again phase anyway here's the problem I have, its set up great for rythem playing which I used to do in my old band im no longer with them anymore, anyway(im not a floyd expert by any means) the screws in the front that hold the floyd to the body are all the way screwed down and there as low as I can get them and the action past the 12th fret is too high for my liking. The truss rod doesn't seem to need to be adjusted the neck seems like its not bowing to far one way or the other. I've read that you can use shims or another type of thin wood to raise the neck up to get the action lower, I just don't wanna do anything to it untill I know a good answer on what I should do, I've called guitar center(peoria il) and they were so confused on it and my local guitar shops tech was out sick today. What do you guys think I should do to it? Any help is appericated
thanks everybody