Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 years ago

renouncing citizenship?

is renouncing your US citizenship considered traitor by Government or the people of the US.

Update:

i was born in America but also born with dual citizen ship to the UK and US. im not going to renounce. it does seem utterly stupid. i am just curious.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Best Answer

It can be. The IRS loses another account. WHY would be a the first question asked.

Getting married.moving or being born a citizen of two countries is not a big deal.

Some require you to pick one when you become an Adult.

Just moving does not get you citizenship. You cannot give up citizenship until you already have citizenship of some other place.(International Law)

In most cases you are not allowed back into the country when you do this. Part of this depends on why you give it up.

Most just become dual citizens. Recent changes in Tax code has brought this to the attention of many that moved to some other place or by chance of birth and never being in the USA had citizenship they do not use or need.

IRS is sending tax bills to people around the world that have never been to the USA. or have two citizenships from birth.

Those potential anchor babies get to pay taxes when they are old enough no matter where they live.

• J M
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

No. Many people renounce citizenship when they move abroad. However it costs over $2000 to make it final. Once you do, you cannot whine to the US embassy when you get in trouble in another country. You can visit just like any other citizen of a foreign country. All rights that you think come from the US Constitution are gone. You will be governed by whatever country you move to.

• 5 years ago

Depends.

It's accepted, sort of, if a US citizen naturalizes in another country which prohibits multiple citizenship, i.e., Norway, Germany, Austria, Japan, China, etc., and renunciation of US citizenship is part of the naturalization process in that country. So if the US citizen got married to a citizen of such country, has resided there for years as a resident, and wishes to spend the rest of his or her life in that country, it's accepted, kind of.

If a US citizen renounces their US citizenship for any other reason, it's seen as a sign of utter stupidity, as US citizenship has a monetary value of $1M. So people renounce their US citizenship only if they absolutely need to.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I now live on the American Rivera in the charming old mission town San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, Calif.
    • EdWinter
      Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

Ventura, hunnie, you live in Ventura. Say it after me now, hun: V-E-N-T-U-R-A. There, that's not so awfully, awfully bad, IS IT. 'Kay, then. Hay, yurr wellcumm!

• 5 years ago

Actually there is an official process for it, so clearly no the Govt doesn't consider it to be treason or traitor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

I would imagine that most people could not care less, the government on the other hand will not let you back into the country you [or they] turn their backs on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.