promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do you think that cells are still part of that person/individual when they are removed?

for example the Hela cells...

any ideas?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Nope. A "person" is partly defined by the consciousness that is an emergent property of the activity of the brain. A tumor that's been removed is no longer part of the person.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Roland
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

A person is identified by his brain - personality, intellect, emotions, etc.

Some people obviously think there is something like a soul in the other parts.

If there's "soul" in my cells, then I've spread a lot of my soul all around the house - hopefully most have been vacuumed up and thrown in the trash.

Should I have saved them? Should I be sad?

This whole idea seems silly to me. Such a discussion has begun primarily because Henrietta Lacks was never compensated for "giving up" her cells.

But they were tumor cells, for heaven sakes - she wanted to (needed to) get rid of them!! Some do-gooders eventually came up with the idea that she had been "used" without being compensated.

So her descendants should be compensated? For what?

• 6 years ago

Do you mean does the person the cells were taken from OWN or have any rights over their cells and tissues? I think they absolutely should, but the Supreme Court disagrees with me (in their typical corporations over people style). If you mean are cells "people" -- no.

• 6 years ago

I'am not a biologist but to my point of view I indeed say yes cells removed from any individual is part of them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

In response to your personalized question to me: The YAHOO system does not allow answers to be given directly. There's something messed up. I agree with the answer that JazSinc gave.

Source(s): 40 years teaching Biology
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.