Do you think that cells are still part of that person/individual when they are removed?

for example the Hela cells...

any ideas?

Favorite Answer

Nope. A "person" is partly defined by the consciousness that is an emergent property of the activity of the brain. A tumor that's been removed is no longer part of the person.

• Roland

A person is identified by his brain - personality, intellect, emotions, etc.

Some people obviously think there is something like a soul in the other parts.

If there's "soul" in my cells, then I've spread a lot of my soul all around the house - hopefully most have been vacuumed up and thrown in the trash.

Should I have saved them? Should I be sad?

This whole idea seems silly to me. Such a discussion has begun primarily because Henrietta Lacks was never compensated for "giving up" her cells.

But they were tumor cells, for heaven sakes - she wanted to (needed to) get rid of them!! Some do-gooders eventually came up with the idea that she had been "used" without being compensated.

So her descendants should be compensated? For what?

Do you mean does the person the cells were taken from OWN or have any rights over their cells and tissues? I think they absolutely should, but the Supreme Court disagrees with me (in their typical corporations over people style). If you mean are cells "people" -- no.

I'am not a biologist but to my point of view I indeed say yes cells removed from any individual is part of them.

In response to your personalized question to me: The YAHOO system does not allow answers to be given directly. There's something messed up. I agree with the answer that JazSinc gave.

Source(s): 40 years teaching Biology