Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 7 years ago

Why does Bobby Fischer get more credit then his rating is worth?

I've read comments that Fischer would definitely win against other players that have the same rating as him such as Viswanathan Anand, based on ratings Anand should actually be slighter better then Fischer, Anands fide rating is the same as Fischers peak rating, 2785, while Anands peak rating is even higher, 2817. People talk about Fischer compared to other players of the same rating like Fischer was rated 2900s

Update:

Update 2:

How about Bobby Fischer Vs Magnus Carlsen, someone that actually has a higher rating then Fischer.

Update 3:

How about Bobby Fischer Vs Levon Aronian

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Bobby Fischer was hugely talented, and had a maximum ELO rating of 2785 in 1972 which was about 125 ELO points higher than his strongest contemporaries (probably a bigger differential than any other GM has ever had over his nearest rivals).

Since then, there has been a "ratings inflation" that I estimate to be about 2 ELO points per year, and if my estimate is reasonably accurate, that would make Fischer's rating (in 1972) roughly equivalent to 2785 + ( 42years x 2 points per year) = 2869 which is similar to World Champion Magnus Carlsen's current rating.

Many people consider Garry Kasparov to be the strongest player ever: his peak rating was 2851 in 1999. Using the same "ratings inflation" correction would put Bobby Fischer's 2785 equivalent to 2785 + (27years x 2 points per year) = 2839 i.e. about 12 points below Kasparov's best.

Applying the 2 points per year to Kaparov's peak rating to find its 2014 equivalent gives 2851 + 15x2 = 2881, which is just 8 points below Magnus Carlsen's absolute peak "live rating" of 2889.

The question of who among:

Fischer, Kasparov, Carlsen and maybe Capablanca, would prevail in match play against one another today, assuming they were all at their peak, and had been able to benefit from modern techniques

(e.g. training against strong computers, knowledge of modern theory & openings; access to the huge modern databases of Grandmaster games etc.), really can't be answered with any confidence.

But I like to think that those four GM's would all hold their own, draws abounding and major brilliances (leading to a few won games ) being roughly shared between them.

Fischer's excellence can perhaps be appreciated by considering his phenomenal feat of 20 consecutive won games in top level chess,

that should be compared with the recent Sinquefield Cup at the St Louis Chess Club which was correctly heralded as the strongest chess tournament ever. That tournament was won by Fabiano Caruana (who won his first 7 games, before drawing his last 3).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.