Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

why do protestant or evangelicals churches are divided in many denominations and they claim to be christians?

they don't have one leader, there are many leaders and some are women and men,but they have different views about new testament, maybe in essence the same thing but when you read more about them, you could find differences why? why can't get along in one church?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Protestants and Catholics and Orthodox Christians who belong to Christ by faith are all part of the one Church Christ promised to build, which the very gates of Hades would never overcome.

That spiritual body of Christ is built upon the foundational confession of all Christians, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. That is in Matthew 16:13-18. That is why all Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants who say Amen to the 5th century Apostles' Creed are united on the fundamental issues of the Christian faith.

Yes, there are differences in many denominations, but very few of them are major enough to cause a division. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the fellowship shared between myriad Protestant denominations. We are not fighting against each other! We are not sheep-stealing from each other! It is only pseudo-Christian groups, like the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons who do that, whilst insisting that the only True Christians are themselves.

Divisions first arose because of gross corruption in the Christian religion. It became so bad, so intolerable, that the Reformation arose. The Catholic counter-reformation was too little, too late. Once that major split occurred, it was inevitable that more splintering would happen, just as in politics where you stop having a dictatorship, lots of different political parties arise. Give people freedom to think and to choose, and they will. We no longer live in an era where remote, pompous leaders can dictate to the masses with their edicts.

But the one leader of all Christians is Christ Jesus. Surely you knew that? Only when we take our eyes off Him and start looking at men (or women) do we fall into the trap of allowing fellow-sinners to mislead us. Read Romans 8:1-27 to discover what qualifies a person to say that they belong to Christ, i.e. are a Christian. If we just stuck to what the Bible says, we could cut to the chase and get focussed - on Christ.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

1) Why do protestant or evangelicals churches are divided in many denominations and they claim to be christians?

For the very same reason that non-Protestant and non-Evangelical churches are divided into many denominations and they claim to be Christians. The reason is this: not all Christians agree on all religious doctrines.

2) they don't have one leader, there are many leaders

The same is true of non-Protestant and non-Evangelical churches.

3) they have different views about new testament, maybe in essence the same thing but when you read more about them, you could find differences why?

Again: for the very same reasons that non-Protestant and non-Evangelical churches have "different views about the New Testament".

4) why can't get along in one church?

Because billions of Christians - naturally - do not all agree on hundreds of individual Christian doctrines. Naturally - given the existence of hundreds of Christian doctrines - there is disagreement concerning some of them.

• Seeker
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Don't misunderstand, they are Christians, but that is an excellent point. The Catholic Church is the great tree growing since it was little in the beginning and protestant or evangelicals churches are branches broken off and planted in the ground as if they'll grow, but they will dry up and die (the churches die, not the people, I am not threatening anyone).

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

In a round about way, you could say that all protestant denominations came from the Catholic faith. The process began in the 16th century with a movement that was initially intended to reform the beliefs and practices of the Catholic church, but resulted in the breakaway we know as the Protestant Reformation. The Catholic church was itself a break away from the original Christian faith of the first century.

Subsequent divisions within the protestant movement, usually over doctrinal differences, have resulted in the formation of numerous denominations and other less formally defined groups, a process that continues to this day.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I think the church age is passing. Jesus spoke about wheat and tares. You know about the one world religion? Everyone is fine, God is love, no such thing

as sin, God forgives all. Jesus a good man but can't take it literally. Christians hurt world peace so reprogram them..or remove..permanently.

The bible says..the love of many shall..drift away.

A long process. But!! For a beginner, go to church.

Go to bible studies. I belonged to a cult but they taught

me a lot, and have visited just to say ..hi. I worship on Sabbath BECAUSE Jesus did, no other reason.

I don't throw ..the baby out with the bathwater.

• Andrew
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

They are all sects based on the non-spoken, non-evidence of the the old man who started them off. Apart from Christian Science which was started by an old woman.

• 7 years ago

Christian literally means "Follower of Christ". It doesn't matter what denomination they are, or little differences, we are all one in Christ.

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They DO have one Leader: His name is Jesus.

On all essentials they agree...the rest is mere interpretation.

• 7 years ago

It's all about the Trough...

It needs to feed lots of snouts.

http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele-evangelist_li...

~

• 7 years ago

Well they all want some of that huge pile of money that Christians give to churches each year.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.