is this dress okay for a guest to a wedding?

The wedding is in December at a winery. I love this dress and it's a good price. Is a long black dress okay to wear to a wedding? I was also considering having it tailored to be a short dress

• MBeez
    Favorite Answer

It depends on the formality of the event. Did the couple make a wedding website? Often times, the dress code is explained in further detail on a website of sorts and it is beginning to be a very popular option for couples to communicate with their guests more easily.

If not, here are some other ways to figure out how you are expected to dress:

- Day or night? Evening events tend to be more formal than daytime events.

- Time of year. I think of winter events sometimes being more formal since it is physically more comfortable to wear evening wear during colder months. I would not expect my guests to wear tuxedos and long dresses on the hottest day of July.

- Wording of the invitation. "Ellie and Tom invite you to celebrate their love as they say 'I Do'" sounds a lot less formal than "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Mr. and Mrs. James Jones, together with their children Eliana Faith Smith and Thomas Michael Jones, request the honor of your presence as Eliana and Thomas exchange their marriage vows."

If you're still unsure, ask around with friends and family of other people who were invited. If they don't know either, go ahead and ask the couple.

I wouldn't think a winery wedding would be all that formal, and black is a no-no at a wedding, unless they specify a black and white wedding, which is rare. So is white lace. Otherwise, there is a message you may not mean to send - that you do not approve of the marriage.

I would suggest you find a less formal knee length or tea length dress that is less formal. This one is not appropriate for a number of reasons. It's a lovely dress, just not appropriate for this occasion, and that's what you need a dress FOR.

Here are some things that woud likely be fine:

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Christian-...

http://www.lastcall.com/Lafayette-148-New-York-Fai...

• I've seen many people wear black at a wedding , as long as it's a fun black dress not one that looks like a funeral dress

It's a little formal, especially since winery weddings are often in the afternoon. Just call the bride and ask her how formal the wedding is, does she have a preference or advice on how guests should dress. Often this is on their wedding website, if they have one.

I would wear it short. No one wears full length gowns to weddings anymore.