Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 years ago

In college and very homesick... I just want to go home... Help?

This is only my fourth day of college and I'm already wanting to go home. I miss my boyfriend, my cat, my mom and dad, I miss not having to cook for myself because I had a mommy who took care of me, I miss my house and the way it smells, I miss the way my cat would let me snuggle with him and he would comfort me when I cry. I miss everything. And I'm nearly shutting down from depression. I hate having to function on my own and figure out how to manage my life. I can't go home because not only have I made a commitment to the school but my parents have spent a lot of money to give me living arrangements. I really want to ball up and quit, though. I need help... I'm a three hour drive from home so I can't just easily go back and my parents won't let me make the drive myself. I don't know what to do.

Favorite Answer

My child, don't give up! This is an exciting time in your life! I just graduated this past May, and boy do I wish I was back. College is the time where you learn to grow as a person and become who you really are. It is tough, I know. The first few weeks, maybe even the first month of my freshman year was very hard, but once you get past that stage, everything will be better. I promise. Also, look at the bright side, you are only three hours away from home! Just think of kids who have to go to college that are eight hours away, or even further! Try your best to meet new people, and get alone with your roomate(s), if you have more than one. Your roommate doesn't have to be your best friend, but you should respect him or her and learn to appreciate him or her. My sophomore year, I lived all by myself and I begged constantly for a roomate because I was so lonely, so having a roommate is a plus for sure. Make sure you go out of your comfort zone, just a bit and be open to people. The first few years of college, kids are still going to be figuring stuff out, and I didn't really "get it" until halfway through my junior year. It's different for everybody though. Just think of it this way...If life wasn't full of hardships from time to time and was always easy, it wouldn't be worth living! This is your chance to become who you really are! Embrace the change and go rock it! Every freshman there is in the same situation as your are and has similar feelings that you do. You will probably get tired of hearing this phrase later on, but you only get this experience once in your life. Make the most of it, and if you do, it can be the best time of your life. I will pray for you, keep being the great person you are!

• CoJo6 years agoReport

You are very caring and sweet :) I really appreciate all you said and the effort you gave to help me. I did some studying and had lunch with new friends and I actually feel better. I still miss home but it is still there for me :) thank you so very much <3

get over it? sorry I don't mean to be rude but you should've known that you were going to have to manage on your own. Hell I'm 17 and I could manage better than you. Learn to cook. get over the fact that your precious kitty is gone for now. I'm sure you can manage yourself until Thanksgiving.

• CoJo6 years agoReport

Jerk.

Join one of the faculty`s social clubs..it is always hard ( been there..)

but having company and joining in is the best way forward.

Have your family write to you...letters can ease you through the first pangs, truly.. , phone or text regularly,

and call them, too.Parents expect that so don`t be shy.too.All the best to you.x

• CoJo6 years agoReport

Thank you for helping :)

Grow up would be my advice. You sound like a 12 year old girl. Seriously, if you want to make it in the real world, independent living is the foundation.

• CoJo6 years agoReport

Jerk.

Maybe join a group or talk to someone and ignore all the rude answers.

• CoJo6 years agoReport

Thank you for your kind words :)