What is/are the best Jack the Ripper books to start a collection with?

I have held a strong interest in serial killers and murders in general ever since I was a small child. I was the kid who rather watch Forensic Shows on the discovery channel about murders and crime solving and watch Surgical shows like Life in the ER and Untold Stories of the ER. Apparently Blood and Gore and Crime has always been appealing to me even at such a young age. An appeal that still remains strongly within me. Serial Murders/Killers are a passion of mine and I find them fascinating in more than one way. One Murderer and his Mysteries that have always stuck well to my brain and lingered there is, Jack the Ripper. I have done a lot of studying and reading on Jack the Ripper, going as far as to write a essay about him in my later years of elementary school. But most of my knowledge and research has come from the internet, and I am one of those people who like looking through actual books. I own no books on Jack the Ripper or the riveting case of his crimes and its investigations. But I have been eager to start a book collection. I am here to ask for book recommendations. I have rather extensive knowledge already on the subject matter but I am wanting to get my hands on any good book worth time and money spent whether it be a good starter book or one for the more seasoned Ripper fan.

You can list as many books as you like. It would be appreciated if your view of the book and why you recommend the book is given as well.

Thanks !

- Please suggest only Books that have to do with Jack the Ripper and the case itself.

- Everyone has their opinions, but if your here to make a response, please respond with information I seek. Don't sprout your opinions on me, my fascination with the case, or tell me I should read something else.

- Don't post a response if your not going to be helpful.

Favorite Answer

I haven't read any of these but thought you might be able to add a few to your reading list. Hope they help. :)

1) "The Diary of Jack the Ripper" by Shirley Harrison

2) "The Crimes of Jack the Ripper" by Paul Roland

3) "The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper" Martin Fido

4) "The Complete Jack the Ripper" by Donald Rumbelow

5) "The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sudgen

6) "Catherine Eddows: Jack the Ripper victim" by Neal Sheldon

7) "Catch me if you can" by Leanne Perry

8) "A Casebook on Jack the ripper" by Richard Whittington-Egan

9) "Alias Jack the Ripper: beyond the usual whitechapel suspects" by R. Michael Gordon

10) "L'Affaire Jack l'Eventreur" by Christian Coudurier

11) "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper" by Patrick Prior

12) "Jack the Ripper: The Casebook" by Richard Jones

13) "Jack the Ripper: The Forgotten Victims" by Paul Begg

14) "A Tale from Ripper Street: Inspecter Edmund" by Joseph Busa

15) "Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper-Case" by Patricia Cornwell

16) "Jack the Ripper Unmasked: Murder case files" by Neil Ashford

17) "Jack the Ripper's Streets of Terror: Life during the reign of Victorian London's Most Brutal Killer" by Rupert Matthews

18) "Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard" by Robert House

19) "Jack the Ripper The Suspects" by Whitechapel society

20) "Capturing Jack the ripper: in the boots of a Bobby in Victorian England" by Neil Bell

21) "The Mammoth Book of Jack the Ripper" by Maxim Jakubowski

22) "The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now" by Robert Clack

23) "Stalking Jack: the hunt begins" by Madison Kent

24) "1888: A Jack the Ripper Novel" by Charlie Revelle-Smith

25) "Jack the Ripper: the simple truth" by Burce Paley

26) "The Jack the Ripper: location photographs" by Philp Hutchinson

27) "Jack the Ripper, The murder, the mystery" by Victor Stapleton

28) "Jack the Ripper-the secret police files" by Trevor Marriott

29) "Jack the Ripper: Quest for a Killer" by M J Trow

30) "Naming Jack the Ripper" by Russell Edwards

31) "Sexual Psychopaths: British serial killers" by David Malocco

32) "Prisoner 1167: The madman who was Jack the Ripper" by James C. H. Tully

33) "Rippe" by Stefan Petrucha

34) "The Conan Doyle Notes: secret of Jack the Ripper" by Diane Madsen

35) "The Lodger" by Mary Belloc

36) "Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates" by Stewart P. Evans

37) "From Hell" by Alan Moore

• Wukong

Ten Rillington Place by Ludovic Kennedy. It's about the serial killer John Christie in London during 1950's.

The Only Living Witness - Ted Bundy. By Stephen G Michaud and, Hugh Aynesworth.

The Boston Stranglers - about Albert DeSalvo. By Susan Kelly

The Co’ed Killer - about Edmund Kemper.

Try here - for books and other info about serial killers.

http://www.serialkillerscentral.com/

• I am asking for only Jack the Ripper related books.

Thanks for the book list. I have seen many of these in passing and was really looking for someone to tell me what books would be worth my while and my money. However I realize not many people enthuse about Jack the Ripper and his mysterious case, also I thank you for answering without judging me in the comments or telling me I should choose another subject to enthuse about. I award you best answer and two stars for your answer.

The Elephant Man was Jack the Ripper!

Anything written or co-written by Paul Begg or Stewart Evans is an excellenge place to start.

Phil Sugden's book is also considered one of the best "general knowledge" books on the case.

You should read something else. It's sick to call yourself a fan of his. Wow. Anyway, don't you know the books, you said you read them. Lot of good he's done you.

• I'll read what I want and most of my research and reading has been online I am looking for book suggestion on the topic matter of Jack the Ripper - I probably should have worded it differently. I don't agree with his action quite honestly they're horrendous but the case has always fascinated me.