Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 years ago

Bible students: Can this be right--this statement?

Update:

"For there are three persons who compose the only true God: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. And these three persons are the One God."

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

TRINITY?? How ridiculous. It can be found in many pagan religions, but NOT in the Bible. At least not a Bible translation. Maybe in a Bible version. A version is NOT a translation!

I can see that those who answered did a little research, but not enough. When I was a graduate student at Texas Christian University, I was allowed to use the Brite Divinity School library and I researched John 1:1. I found the following;

“[It] is clear that in the translation “the Word was God,” the term God is being used to denote his nature or essence, and not his person. But in normal English usage “God” is a proper noun, referring to the person of the Father or corporately to the three persons of the Godhead. Moreover, “the Word was God” suggests that “the Word” and “God” are convertible terms, that the proposition is reciprocating. But the Word is neither the Father nor the Trinity… The rendering cannot stand without explanation.”[4] Translations by James Moffatt, Hugh J. Schonfield and Edgar Goodspeed render part of the verse as "...and the Word was divine."

An Orthodox Bible Commentary notes: "This second theos could also be translated ‘divine’ as the construction indicates "a qualitative sense for theos". The Word is not God in the sense that he is the same person as the theos mentioned in 1:1a; he is not God the Father (God absolutely as in common NT usage) or the Trinity. The point being made is that the Logosis of the same uncreated nature or essence as God the Father, with whom he eternally exists. This verse is echoed in theNicene Creed: 'God (qualitative or derivative) from God (personal, the Father), Light from Light, True God from True God… homoousion with the Father.'"[5]

Other variations of rendering John 1:1 also exist:

• 1864 “and a god was the Word” (left hand column interlinear reading) The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson, New York and London.

• 1867 “In the beginning was the gospel preached through the Son. And the gospel was the word, and the word was with the Son, and the Son was with God, and the Son was of God” - The Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible.

• 1935 “and the Word was divine” - The Bible—An American Translation, by John M. P. Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed, Chicago.

• 1955 “so the Word was divine” - The Authentic New Testament, by Hugh J. Schonfield, Aberdeen.

• 1978 “and godlike sort was the Logos” - Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin.

• 1822 "and the Word was a god." - The New Testament in Greek and English (A. Kneeland, 1822.);

• 1863 "and the Word was a god." - A Literal Translation Of The New Testament (Herman Heinfetter [Pseudonym of Frederick Parker], 1863);

• 1885 "and the Word was a god." - Concise Commentary On The Holy Bible (R. Young, 1885);

• 1879 "and the Word was a god." - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (J. Becker, 1979);

• 1911 "and the Word was a god." - The Coptic Version of the N.T. (G. W. Horner, 1911);

• 1958 "and the Word was a god." - The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Anointed" (J. L. Tomanec, 1958);

• 1829 "and the Word was a god." - The Monotessaron; or, The Gospel History According to the Four Evangelists (J. S. Thompson, 1829);

• 1975 "and the Word was a god." - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (S. Schulz, 1975);

• 1975 "and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word" Das Evangelium nach Johnnes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany

Difficulties

The text of John 1:1 has a sordid past and a myriad of interpretations. With the Greek alone, we can create empathic, orthodox, creed-like statements, or we can commit pure and unadulterated heresy. From the point of view of early church history, heresy develops when a misunderstanding arises concerning Greek articles, the predicate nominative, and grammatical word order. The early church heresy of Sabellianism understood John 1:1c to read, "and the Word was the God." The early church heresy of Arianism understood it to read, "and the word was a God."

— David A. Reed[8]

Attachment image
    Source(s): 77 years of common sense, 67 years of research and 52 years of Bible study and 42 years as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I don’t make any snap decisions.
  • trugoy
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

If you believe in creeds, yes, it's a true statement.

If you believe in the Bible, it's a false statement.

There is not ONE scripture that says such a thing.

There is not ONE scripture that implies a Trinity exists in the Christianity Jesus taught.

Anyone that tries to tell you it's true and biblical are being deceitful.

• Micah
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

No, it is not right. I John 5:7 is a spurious verse that was added to the Bible by trinity believers. They had to add fake verses in order to fool people into believing a false doctrine. That verse is only one of many that the King James translators added to Gods Word.

There is no such thing as a trinity unless you go back to Babylon, Egypt and Assyria. There you will find many trinities of gods.

• 6 years ago

As a Bible teacher for over 50 years, I have heard all kinds of trinity theories. None of them are backed up by the Bible. They all deny Jesus as the son of God. Most use John 1:1 as the undeniable proof. But then they turn around and deny the same Bible book and writer the apostle John, who was closest of all to Jesus. John plainly makes this point about what he wrote.

"30 To be sure, Jesus also performed many other signs before the disciples, which are not written down in this scroll.+ 31 But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name." (John 20:30, 31)

And they further deny Jesus own words... "The Jews answered him: “We are stoning you, not for a fine work, but for blasphemy; for you, although being a man, make yourself a god.” 34 Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? 35 If he called “gods” those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified— 36 do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?" (Mark 10:33-36)

They even deny Almighty God Himself when he plainly said. "Jesus came from Naz′a·reth of Gal′i·lee and was baptized in the Jordan by John.+ 10 And immediately on coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens being parted and, like a dove, the spirit coming down upon him.+ 11 And a voice came out of the heavens: “You are my Son, the beloved; I have approved you.” (Mark 1:9-11)

I really do not think it is a very good idea to call God a liar. Or to call Jesus a liar. And Jesus said plainly at Mathew 25:31-46 that treating his brothers with disrespect is grounds for death. Calling one of his apostles a liar is a sign of supreme disrespect.

As a free moral agent you can believe what you want. But you will be held to account see Hebrews 4:13

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

It's an excuse by Christians to try to make a pseudo-monotheistic religion out of their belief system because otherwise they couldn't believe Jesus was divine.

• 6 years ago

No. The reason the Bible does not clearly teach the Trinity doctrine is simple: It is not a Bible teaching. Had God been a Trinity, he would surely have made it clear so that Jesus and his disciples could have taught it to others. And that vital information would have been included in God’s inspired Word. It would not have been left to imperfect men to struggle with centuries later. 

The New Catholic Encyclopedia admits: “The majority of N[ew] T[estament] texts reveal God’s spirit as something, not someone; this is especially seen in the parallelism between the spirit and the power of God.” (1967, Vol. XIII, p. 575)

If you'd like to learn more see:

Should You Believe In The Trinity? 

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazi... 

• 6 years ago

Yes.

The doctrine of the Holy Trinity states there is one true God who is made up of three separate but equal persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

The Bible does not contain the word Trinity. However, the Holy Trinity is hinted at repeatedly in both the Old and New Testaments. For many biblical references, see: http://www.cwo.com/~pentrack/catholic/Trinity.txt

Under the influence of the Holy Spirit, the early Christians prayed and struggled over these hints for a couple of centuries. The concept of the Holy Trinity (three equal persons in one God) was mainstream Christianity in 325 C.E. at the Council of Nicaea and our belief is expressed in the Nicene Creed. Later, the Holy Spirit guided the same Church to select which documents would become the Bible.

How the Blessed Trinity works is not fully known and is one the Christian mysteries.

The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is shared by 99% of everyone who call themselves Christian including Roman and Orthodox Catholics, Lutherans, Anglicans, Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Pentecostals, Episcopalians, and the Salvation Army.

Non-Trinitarian churches make up less than 1% of those who call themselves Christian and include Christadelphianism, Christian Science, Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Arian Catholicism, Unitarianism, Nontrinitarianism, and Oneness Pentecostals.

There is a story told about St Augustine:

Augustine was walking along the seashore trying to figure out the mystery of the Holy Trinity and came up to a little boy. The boy was trying to pour the ocean into a hole in the sand with a seashell. Augustine told the boy what he was doing was impossible. Then the little boy told Augustine that it is also impossible for the mind of man to try to understand the mystery of the Holy Trinity. The little boy turned into an angel and disappeared.

For more information, see Catechism of the Catholic Church, sections 232 and following.

With love in Christ.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I says it's true all through the Bible. One only need read it carefully.

Your statement comes from 1 John 5:7

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

No, it is an incorrect statement, if the Trinity were real, it would be found clearly in the Bible, no where does it say "God is Three in one."

• User
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

That is an accurate statement. There is no passage in the Bible that logically contradicts that statement.

Source(s): Thumbing down this answer? Please leave a comment explaining why!
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.