Instructor Dies From Accidental Shooting - What Went Wrong?

And how could it have been prevented?

This story is still being investigated so information is limited :

http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/news/9-year-old-girl-accid...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/shooting-...

I am sad to hear of the death of this man.

I'm asking how situations like this can be avoided in the future.

I have friends who invite me to go shooting and I respectfully decline every time.

My older brother George was shot in the back by his best friend when I was a kid and I have never been able to get over his death.

I am afraid of guns and I know if I don't touch them I can't mess up.

Thanks and thumbs up to all who answer ... just give me time to get back and read the answers.

Charles Vacca dies far too early in his life while a 9 year old girl will live with the heartache of knowing she accidentally killed a man.

Are there age requirements when shooting automatic weapons even in outdoor shooting ranges?

• Bruce
    Favorite Answer

Two things had to happen. First, the student was improperly handling the gun. Second, the instructor was not property supervising her.

You can probably add the parents as a contributing factor also. A 9 year old should not be expected to handle a fully automatic gun.

The way it could have been prevented is to only load a few rounds to make sure the child can handle the gun. Had he only had three rounds in, the gun would have emptied before it became a danger.

Source(s): Law enforcement since 1991
  • D.E.M.

The problem is the person allowed someone that was physically unable to handle an automatic. When an automatic firearm is shot it has the tendency to climb up and to the left. Unfortunately that was where the instructor was standing and he paid for his mistake. I hope they are getting this poor girl counseling for what she saw and was incapable of preventing.

Next on your statement about not shooting. I would say face your fear and try it. You would soon understand that guns are a tool and when properly handled are a fun way to enjoy the outdoors. Find a certified instructor and don't fire a thing till you are comfortable with the safety aspects of the firearm and are comfortable with handling it. Then lock and load a round keeping the firearm down range. Sight in on your target and squeeze the trigger slowly, keeping the target in your sites till well after the firearm has discharged. It is a great sport!

• Lizzy

According to the article she lost control of the gun. The instructor was at fault when he knowingly knows the recoil of a UZI in a 9 year olds hands. Tragic accident. I would get qualified instructors and keep the guns at a 3 round burst until they get use to it.

• J M

There have been a number of cases where students or instructors are killed. Children do not need to use a gun. The only exception is when a parent is teaching a child to hunt. Hunting does not require automatic weapons.

Automatic weapons are meant to kill people. It is a tough way for a child to learn that.

• Aleks

This is a second accident involving a child and an UZI.

UZIs are extremely dangerous in child's hands as they are small and prone to do a somersault when fired. It's absolutely the worst gun you can give to a little girl.

• St N

Assuming the instructor did not walk in front of the student while the student still had the gun, the student did not have enough common sense to put the safety on the gun and not aim at a person.

People who do not understand that the puropose of a gun is to kill people should not have a gun unless they first register the names of the people they intend to kill.

Not giving a 9 year girl an Uzi.

sadly accidents will always happen because we can not cut out the human factor