Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 5 years ago


Ok, so I am 17, when I was 16 I had something personal come up and I was taken out of public high school. I was put into cyber school (with the same high school). Before the personal thing happened, I was a high honor student. Once moved to cyber school, my work was not sending into the teachers through the website, and so my grades dropped. I couldn't do anything about it, because they would not allow me to walk my work to the school. It was allowed before, but not anymore, because it was an inconvenience to the teachers. I was kicked out of cyber school. I became depressed (yes, I love school) and so I just did nothing, until now. I don't have any support from my family and I have no friends, so I have no idea where to start, or if any college will even consider me. I was looking into my local LCCC, however, I don't know if they can help me with the situation I'm in. I have no money, but I have applied for quite a few jobs in my area, as I don't drive. Is there any hope for me of going to college? If so, where do I start, how can I get financial aid? Also, in the state of PA, I can't try for a GED until I'm 18. I was looking into doing that too, but I would rather get a college degree. Should I get a GED then try for college, or just work on college?

1 Answer

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    It's unclear if you are still living with your family or if you have to support yourself. If you need to support yourself, talk with an youth adviser at a local (un)employment office. They might be able to help you with your money situation.

    I think you should consider getting your GED as soon as you can and start at a community college and then transfer to a 4 yr school. Right now you are feeling defeated because of everything that happened recently. However, if you have always been a good student, you will do well in community college and that will help you transfer to most universities of your choice. You can get loans and scholarships with GED as well.

    Here are some PA information regarding GED:

    In Pennsylvania, you can be 16 or 17 and take the GED® test if you meet the following exception:

    16 or 17 years of age must provide a written request for GED® testing from an employer, college admissions office, military recruiting officer, or director of a state institution

    16 or 17 years of age must provide a written statement from your school superintendent or principal saying that you are withdrawn from school

    The Pennsylvania high school equivalency diploma can be achieved by passing the GED test or completing the 30 College Credit Option (at least 17 years of age, not in a secondary school, satisfactory completion of a minimum of 30 semester hours of study in postsecondary level courses)

    Alternative Education for Disruptive Youth Program (AEDY) provides a combination of individual academic instruction and counseling in an alternative setting to assist students in returning successfully to their regular classroom.

    -List of alternative education providers

    -List of school district

    • Holly5 years agoReport

      I live with my mom, however, she wouldn't help me with any of this, and my father is no longer in my life due to abuse. Thank you for the info you have given me, I appreciate your help.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.