Senior Citizens have you moved (or do you think that you might move) into a bungalow or ground floor flat to prevent ever falling on stairs?

My house is very small; enough for me but it has stairs and an upstairs bathroom. I own it so could sell up and move to something safer but really don't wish to do that.

If there were space to do it I'd have a downstairs toilet built but, here, it is not an option I have. It would also be highly unlikely that I could have a stair lift installed because my staircase is several inches narrower than an average staircase.

What have some of you done (thinking ahead) to make your home more safe as you continue to age?

Best Answer

I moved to a retirement bungalow some years ago now.

Not so much with a view to avoid falling but for the added

bonus of an intercom to a control centre that is manned

24-7. Each room in the bungalow has a red pull cord that

you can use to raise help should you fall or have some

other health emergency.

Some such bungalows are either privately owned or rented

from a retirement housing association.

If on the other hand you did not wish to move, you could

consider using a care pendant, these come either as a

pendant worn around the neck or as a bracelet for your

wrist. In an emergency you press the button on the

pendant and it contacts a central control centre who get

help for you, the whole thing works with your phone line.

A phone call to Age UK can bring you some good advice.

The number below is the national helpline, they can put

you in touch with a branch local to you.

Age UK 0800 169 6565

• Peggy

My home is small and compact. This is a good thing for me because it means that there is almost always something close enough for me to grab hold of if I stumble. The house is on two levels though so the stairs might become an issue in a few years time. I just hope that is not so. I had a handrail fitted to the outside steps which lead down to the road but I am now thinking of having an additional one fitted from those steps up to my front door. I don't feel that I need it yet but don't wish to wait until AFTER a fall to' think about it' again. It must be done soon.

• Peggy
      5 years agoReport

Thanks, yes I've seen those and it is one like those that I have in mind (if the price is right !!)

My next house will be all one level not so much from fear of falling as pain of climbing stairs. One hip hurts sometimes on the first step so I know in the future it will hurt to climb and I like to hold the handrail which isn't possible with hands full. I was carrying two 12 packs of pop when I got the stairs this week and had to move them to both in one hand to use a hand rail. Sometimes I can start on one foot instead of the other to make it without pain but I am only 66 and don't think it will be easy at 80. No rush moving but in the next few yeas I will get less stairs.

• Yes, we are thinking of moving into a apartment in a few years. Not only to downsized but for many reason that it cost too much to maintained a home, especially when the kids are gone now.

I would love a ground floor apartment so that I don't have to climb stairs to the laundry room, but not only because I have to climb stairs but I am afraid of falling down the stairs with a load of laundry to do, right now I slide my back along the walls of the staircase while holding a load going down..lol

Yes - 2 years ago, I moved to a bungalow.

Aged 71, I'm not too clever with steps (get giddy changing light bulbs, etc) so it's a boon to live on one level.

Coincidentally, I think it was only today - or was it yesterday ? - that our local (E Anglian) news reported an acute shortage of bungalows. LAND and planning shortages/restrictions mean builders eke out as much as they can from available plots - which is obviously bad news for our ageing population seeking easy access accommodation rather than high-rise family appartments.

FACT - most accidents occur in the home - and result from FALLS

FACT - bungalows/ground floor appts will only get more expensive due to increased demand.

ERGO - I'd venture to suggest a move/exchange of housing is best considered SOONER rather than later.

• whimsy

When I was alone and in my late 50s I decided to move into a senior complex of one-story homes.

It was the best decision that I made. I have a 1,000 sq. foot home, 1 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, big patio, lovely view. It's also nice to know that neighbors check on each other if they haven't seen you out much.

Incidentally, I have never fallen down the stairs; I just want to make sure that I never do.

• ?
      5 years agoReport

I have also never fallen downstairs but hope I never will. On days when I feel a little dizzy I sit on the top step and shuffle down on my behind. It would look hilarious if others could see but it keeps me safe.

I planned to until my daughters suggested I could achieve the same degree of safety just by never leaving objects on the stairs, and that I needed the exercise of regular stair climbing. I have however got a carpenter to install a second handrail, on the wall side of the staircase.

• S

I downsized to a condo on the first floor. I loved my house but it didn't love me as I aged. I am sorry the stair lift didn't work out because that would have alleviated your problem. I do need to add some safety handles in the bathroom but basically this is a great unit to age in.

For years I have had a bad back and we moved often when I was married And eventually I said we could only live in one floor because of my bad back

Recently I went to visit my son and he had a circular stairway and I took a nasty fall in the middle of the night. I am not sure if I will stay with him next time I go to visit.

Stairs are very dangerous and need to be taken with care.

Since Moving to Australia I have always lived in a single story House and My 3 bedder is only 3 steps up to the Front door and i am over 80