Did Richard of York survive in 1483. Who was Richard of Eastwell.?

Update:

I meant Richard Duke of York, one of the Princes in the Tower.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Richard of Eastwell...who knows? One claim is that he is was an illegitimate son of Richard III, born before his marriage to Anne Neville (he appears to have been faithful after that, no known mistresses or other children.) However, he had twoother illegitimate kids, also born before his marriage, John and Katherine, who he gave his name to and looked after, giving his son a good position even as a youth and making a good marriage for his daughter. Why not Richard of Eastwell?

David Baldwin, the historian, believed Eastwell may have been Richard Duke of York. Certainly there was always some uncertainty, even amongst Richard III's enemies, whether one or both princes survived. Many think Perkin Warbeck was the 'real deal' despite his confession (the confession in which he said he was Osbeck, not Warbeck, and called his 'mother' Catheryn when the real name of 'Perkin Warbeck's' mother was Nicaise.) William Stanley, whose treachery brought Richard's death in battle, seemed to believe Perkin Warbeck might indeed be the prince...and lost his own head because of this.

It does seem odd that Eastwell would use the name Plantagenet in a time when the family was being hunted down and killed. Henry VII locked Edward of Warwick (Clarence's son, who may have been disabled in some way) in the Tower as a ten year old boy and eventually executed him on a trumped up charge. He also executed Richard III's illegitimate son John at around the same time as well as Warbeck. This was because the King and Queen of Spain wouldn't let Katherine of Aragon marry his son unless there was no threat to the throne of England...and of course Henry VII's own claim was shaky indeed, as he was from a debarred, illegitimate line.

As for the bones in the Tower...unlikely to be the 'princes', no matter what became of them. Ten foot under foundations? Probably at least Roman. Two boys? You CANNOT reliably sex children of that age without dna, and indeed later examirners (who have only been permitted to examine photos) have thought the elder of the 2 might actually have some developing FEMALE characteristics.The elder skeleton also had osteomyelitis in the jaw, which would have been painful, disfiguring and potentially fatal. There is no record of young Edward, the elder 'prince' being sickly or disfigured; the fact he had a doctor with him is a red herring...that was normal for one in his position.

• 5 years ago

Richard of Eastwell was a man who claimed to be the son of King Richard III. The Princes in the Tower almost certainly were murdered by their uncle Richard. The only reason there's mystery is that he we don't have a body. Richard of York almost certainly died along with his brother although you did have a Flemish man named Perkin Warbeck who claimed to be Richard.

• 5 years ago

Richard of Eastwell was a commoner who claimed to be the son of Richard III

Richard III was killed by Lord Stanley`s men at the Battle of Bosworth Market ( Bosworth Field ) 22, August 1485

Sorry , I thought you meant Richard III , Duke of York as Richard of Eastwell is a related question.

However , on balance it seems neither of the boys survived their stay in the Tower . It would appear that their uncle, Richard III was responsible for their deaths . 16th century accounts indicated that Sir James Tyrell , acting on the kings orders hired two of the boys keepers , Miles Forest and John Dighton , as assassins . It is believed they smothered both boys as they slept and buried their bodies within the Tower grounds .

According to the doctor who attended the boys in the Tower before their disappearance , Edward was living in fear that he might die at anytime . The doctor related that the boy said , `I would my uncle would let me have my life though I lose my kingdom ` . This may be true , or propaganda from the Tudors . ..

In 1674 , two skeletons were discovered buried at the Tower , judged to be the bones of the young princes . They were reinterred at Westminster Abbey . In 1993 ,scientists examined the bones and determined that they were the remains of males who had died in boyhood , consistent with the possibility that they were the remains of the boys . However they were unable to state with certainty that they were the boys remains.

As Lomax has stated there were claimants during the reign of Henry VII

The Duke of Buckingham , Henry Stafford rose in revolt in October 1483 and wanted to replace Richard with Henry Tudor on the throne . Henry prepared to invade England from exile in Brittany , but Buckingham was captured and executed on 2, November 1483 , Henry retreated from his planned invasion . Richard III did indeed survive 1483 .

Source(s): Kings & Queens of Britain / Charles Phillips / Publisher , Hermes House
  • Lomax
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

The fate of Richard of York and his brother is unknown. Even back then, people liked to cover their tracks. In such cases, however, the simplest answer is probably true. They were done away with by their uncle, Richrad III.

Not that there weren't claimants. Look up Perkin Warbeck and Lambert Simnel.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Austin
    Lv 5
    5 years ago

Richard of York was thrown in the tower by Richard III...whether they lived, who knows! it is supposed that Richard III executed the two brothers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.