Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

In ancient times did you have to be a man to call upon or pray to God?

When reading the scriptures I noticed women weren't allowed to ask questions during church, instead they should ask their husbands when they get home.

That got me thinking...were women even allowed to pray or call upon God?

You know when it says ask and you shall recieve, or that men should turn from their sins & be forgiven...was that all just for men? What is there for women?

Great all of you have been reported :)

except fireball lol

• CF
    Favorite Answer

Luke 2:36-38

Now there was a prophetess, Anna the daughter of Phan′u·el, of Ash′er’s tribe. This woman was well along in years and had lived with her husband for seven years after they were married,* 37 and she was a widow now 84 years old. She was never missing from the temple, rendering sacred service night and day with fasting and supplications. 38 In that very hour she came near and began GIVING THANKS TO GOD and speaking about the child to all who were waiting for Jerusalem’s deliverance.

Jehovah used Deborah to summon Barak from Kedesh-naphtali and inform him of God’s purpose to use 10,000 men in defeating the huge army of Canaanite King Jabin under his army chief Sisera.

Judges 4:4,

Now Deb′o·rah, a prophetess...She sent for Ba′rak the son of A·bin′o·am out of Ke′desh-naph′ta·li and said to him: “HAS NOT JEHOVAH THE GOD OF ISRAEL GIVEN THE COMMAND ? ‘Go and march to* Mount Ta′bor, and take 10,000 men of Naph′ta·li and Zeb′u·lun with you. 7 I will bring to you Sis′e·ra, the chief of Ja′bin’s army, along with his war chariots and his troops to the stream* of Ki′shon, and I will give him into your hand.’”

2 Kings 22:14-20

So Hil·ki′ah the priest, A·hi′kam, Ach′bor, Sha′phan, and A·sai′ah went to HUL´DAH THE PROPHETESS. She was the wife of Shal′lum son of Tik′vah son of Har′has, the caretaker of the wardrobe, and she was dwelling in the Second Quarter of Jerusalem; and they spoke to her there. 15 She said to them: “THIS IS WHAT JEHOVAH THE GOD OF ISRAEL SAYS, ‘Tell the man who sent you to me: 16 “This is what Jehovah says, ‘I will bring calamity on this place and its inhabitants, all the words of the book that the king of Judah has read. 17 Because they have abandoned me and are making sacrifices smoke to other gods+ in order to offend me with all the work of their hands, my rage will be set ablaze against this place and it will not be extinguished.’” 18 But to the king of Judah who sent you to inquire of Jehovah, this is what you should say to him, “THIS IS WHAT JEHOVAH THE GOD OF ISRAEL SAYS: ‘Regarding the words that you have heard, 19 because your heart was responsive* and you humbled yourself+ before Jehovah on hearing what I have spoken against this place and its inhabitants—that they would become an object of horror and a curse—and you ripped your garments apart and wept before me, I also have heard you, DECLARES JEHOVAH. 20 That is why I will gather you to your ancestors, and you will be laid in your grave in peace, and your eyes will not see all the calamity that I will bring on this place.’”’” Then they brought the reply to the king.

You're speaking about the scripture at 1 Corinthians 14:34? Paul was not there belittling women nor their intelligence. He often referred to the wholesome teaching of women. In his letter to the Corinthians he advised not only women, but individuals who had the gift of tongue and prophecy to keep silent when another believer was speaking.(1 Corinthians 14:26-30,33) God is a God of peace, and not disorder. Likely, some of the Christian women became so enthusiastic about their new found faith that they interrupted the speaker to ask questions, as was the custom in that part of the world. in order, to avoid disorder, Paul encouraged them to ask their husbands.

• Fuzzy

Paul's telling the Christian church that teaching had to be done by men has nothing to do with what your question.

If you read the OT, you would see God gives as much attention to women as to men. It is true that most interaction given is between God and men perhaps. But that doesn't mean that God is deaf to women.

In Sarah's case, and in the case of Samuel's mother - we see God action for these women.

The story about Ruth and Naomi who were ancestors of Jesus - in a sense - is all about women and how God answered them in their need.

The story about Hannah and how God answered her prayer for a child is a good study for you about this:

*[[1Sa 1:8-11]] ASV* %v 8% And Elkanah her husband said unto her, Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am not I better to thee than ten sons? %v 9% So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest was sitting upon his seat by the door-post of the temple of Jehovah. %v 10% And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto Jehovah, and wept sore. %v 11% And she vowed a vow, and said, O Jehovah of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thy handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thy handmaid, but wilt give unto thy handmaid a man-child, then I will give him unto Jehovah all the days of his life, and there shall no razor come upon his head.

You have to remember that the Bible's purpose was to lead us to Christ. What you see then is not so much about God dealing with men or women, but, instead, God's dealings with mankind so as to give us Christ and the prophecies, the teachings this must include.

God listens as much to a righteous woman's prayer as to a righteous man's. As even Paul says, in Christ there is neither male nor female.

*[[Gal 3:28]] ASV* There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither bond nor free, there can be no male and female; for ye all are one man in Christ Jesus.

The question of teaching in the church being for males is to uphold the principle of headship that God has given us:

*[[1Co 11:3]] ASV* But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Nothing. Women are easily swayed. They'll lie to themselves until they think they're right.

Men have a better head on their shoulders.

• ?

Those were Ancient Rules. Today things are slightly different.