Do you agree that there's no such thing as "American food"?

I mean, when people hear "American food", they think of fast food like burgers, fries and hot dogs. But actually, fries were invented by the Belgians, and the Germans invented hot dogs and hamburgers. The Italians invented pasta and pizza, the Asians gave us rice, Jews invented bagels, matzo bread and... show more I mean, when people hear "American food", they think of fast food like burgers, fries and hot dogs. But actually, fries were invented by the Belgians, and the Germans invented hot dogs and hamburgers. The Italians invented pasta and pizza, the Asians gave us rice, Jews invented bagels, matzo bread and Kosher (best kind of food), there's a ton of good Mexican food, and so forth. There are two main reasons: one, because we are a comparatively young country, and a lot of good foods came before us; and two, this country was built by immigrants, who brought their tasty foods with them. Even if we did change the ORIGINAL recipe (for example, I know American Chinese food is often different than real Chinese food), it's still generally the same idea. So really there's no such thing as "American food", don't you think?
11 answers 11