What makes anti-body to kill dead rabies virus? (rabies vaccine)?

I was bitten and was given rabies vaccine, last dose of vaccine was 5 days ago (5 doses), i wanted to know what makes anti-body to kill the virus? everywhere i read it says that they inject dead rabies virus in your body and immune system makes anti-bodies to kill the virus. what makes anti-bodies? I'm not good at biology so i actually don't know alot about WBC and immune system.. So what makes the antibodies? antigens? and.. i wanted to know how do they check the rabies anti-body level in your body? like what do they actually check?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you have been given rabies vaccine as opposed to rabies immunoglobin you will have been injected with inactivated rabies virus. Because the virus is inactivated it cannot give you rabies. Nevertheless your immune system will recognise its presence and react to it. The immune system is a very complex system, that is still not completely understood. Basically what happens is this. You have five different types of white blood cell. One of these types is the lymphocyte. There are two types of lymphocyte: B lymphocytes and T lymphocytes. B lymphocytes are also called B cells. When an infection is detected by your immune system a lot of things happen but to put it simply you will have a B cell that "recognises" rabies virus. The B cell when it detects the injected rabies virus will produce what are called plasma cells. It is the plasma cells that produce the antibodies which are specific to rabies virus. To give you longer term immunity your B cells will also produce what are called memory cells. If you ever had another series of rabies vaccines or were actually infected with rabies these memory cells would produce antibodies. When you're first infected it takes a number of days between infection occurring and antibodies being produced. If you're infected a second or subsequent time with the same infection the memory cells react much more quickly and it is possible for the antibodies to be produced so quickly you won't even have symptoms of the infection.

Source(s): Teaching biology for more years than I care to remember.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Antibodies are made by B cells in your system, which are a type of white blood cell.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.