Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 years ago

Car Making Squealing sound?

My car has been making a squealing noise since march upon starting it and would squeal when I stopped and when ac is turned on. Now it only squeals upon turning on and when ac is turned on. Could a belt be loose?

Favorite Answer

You belt is bad The 2000 Galant has two engine sizes a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder Below are belt links for both You will have to look under the hood there is an emissions sticker it will tell you which engine is in the car

So this is the belt you need for : 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 2.4L MFI SOHC 4cyl http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Se...

This is the belt for 2000 Mitsubishi Galant 3.0L MFI 6cyl http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Valucraft-B...

Both are the cheapest listed belt I would change it before it breaks If it breaks while driving you will be stranded on the side of the road It drives everything You will either be replacing it on the side of the road or tow it to a shop It will cost you hundreds for an 11 dollar part Once you figure out which engine If you wish to save yourself some money Re-post or ask a new question for a step by step instructions how to replace the belt Please don't forget to include make model and year and engine size. whether its the 4 or 6 cylinder and I or someone will find you a video to watch and or step by step procedure You can also email thru answers if you wish a specific person to aid you

Hope it helps

Lr

Source(s): Degree in Automotive Taught my spouse how to change the half shafts on her car She is a girly girl
    • 5 years agoReport

Thank you so much! it is a 4cyl with 160000 miles on it! I'm bringing it to my mechanic on monday due to the fact I'm not that handy when it comes to cars but i will be buying the part myself.

• The power steering pump and the AC compressor both draw power from the serpentine belt. You only have symptoms when turning the car or when operating AC. The sound appears to be very much like a slipping belt. We don't know the make, model, engine, age, or mileage, but a reasonable guess is that the tensioner spring is worn or the tensioner pulley bearing is going. Could be simply needing a serp belt, but I'd recommend getting a new idler pulley assembly ($25 or so for most autos) and install it. If you want to replace the serp belt also, this is a good tim to do it. You tube is filled with videos on how to replace serp belt, replace tensioner. Make good notes before you begin, to be sure you route the belt correctly at reassembly.

Source(s): old wrench spinner

Its a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant

It is indeed a belt. The belt that drives the a/c, the alternator and the power steering pump, aka the auxiliary belt, is slipping. Needs re-tensioning or replacing if worn.

Sometimes that's a belts way of telling you to change it.

if you change the belt and are not experienced, take a photo before you remove stuff

• br549

Maybe, maybe not!

Make, model, and engine size would get a better answer.