George Galloway > Is he right to refuse to pay his TV licence fee (UK Question)?

Update:

He proclaims that the BBC lies and misinforms the listener/viewer on the Israel/Palestine conflict.

Is it not a breath of fresh air to have a person such as George Galloway stand up for their principles and mae a stand ??

Update 2:

BLPIT > They are programmes of taste. I love boxing but dont see much on BBC - Snooker is the most covered subject on TV ? News is not about taste news is about the truth and putting an unbiased coverage. I dont pay for a TV licence because I dont agree with the wages and perks given to the BBC top brass.

Update 3:

BBC implicated in the Saville child abuses ... yet used to jail people for not paying the licence fee.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

George Galloway is committing a criminal offence by not paying his tv licence fee.

The tv licence is required by anybody who operates equipment capable of recieving live tv broadcasts. It does not matter whether they watch BBC or not, or whether they agree with the programme material.

This is nothing whatsoever to do with "principles", it is just blood-mindedness. The reason why this is so is because the government collects taxes from all sorts of places and spend them on all sorts of causes. Just because someone does not agree with everything the government spends tax money on is NOT an excuse for not paying taxes.

The TV licence is just another form of indirect taxation, like car tax booze and tobacco tax - and a bit of accurate research will show you that not all of it goes to the BBC anyway.

So to claim that Galloway is "principled" by not paying for his tv licence is false in fact. He is just witholding taxes in the same way that someone who doesn't tax their car because they disagree with road use.

• ...Show all comments
    • The Tank
      Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

Just because you disagree with how taxes are spent is not a reason for not paying. The Poll tax was discontinued after public "comment" and the fact that it was not practically collectable, the violent street protests (rent-a-mob) did not not have much influence on that in reality.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

The problem with Galloway's stance is that many people could do this for many reasons. People might refuse to pay the TV licence because they disapproved of swearing in programmes, or because they thought the news was biased the opposite way to the way he claims, or for a thousand other reasons.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

George Galloway, why should he be allowed to break the law for whatever his reason is, if he doesn't wish to pay for a TV license then he needs to get rid of and not watch a TV this is the same guy who crawls around the floor meowing on a TV show .........ummmmm

• ...Show all comments
    • MYRTEL
      Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

The same guy who tore apart the US Investigations Senate - he ripped them to bits, intellectually and any other way. He has won every single one of the many defamation cases of power people tying to stitch him up.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

No. If he watches TV then he has to pay his licence fee.

For non UK readers, the licence fee actually goes to fund the BBC, not to the government.

• The Tank
      Lv 7
      6 years agoReport

Not strictly true. The fee goes to the government and some of it is dolled out to the BBC. The rest is a subsidy to Channel 4 and to broadcast technical research, without which there would be no HDTV or even PAL colour system.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

No he's wrong. I happen to disagree with EVERYTHING Robbie Savage says on 5 Live. My wife doesn' t agree with Wimbledon even being on telly. My mum doesn't like Eastenders. At this rate, we ALL have a legitimate reason to with-hold our licence fee.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.