Should I be worried about RABIES???

Hey everyone, tonight I was taking pictures outside of the "super" moon (brightest full moon of the year) and when I was under my pergola, I heard a few squeaking noises so I got worried it might have been a bat. I have checked everywhere for any bites or scratches and haven't seen any at all. I shook the pergola and it makes a similar squeaking noise. I live in New York City so its not a place where bats are known to be common, but we have had bats on our property once or twice before in the last 10 years.

I'm just worried about getting rabies if I did get a small scratch or bite from a bat. I have looked outside for any bats flying in the air and haven't seen any so that makes me feel much better, but the idea of getting rabies scares me quite a bit because once symptoms begin, it's fatal. I don't want to take a vaccination that I don't need.

Should I be worried about this at all or not? Like I said, I didn't physically see a bat and I have no scratches.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Favorite Answer

Bats should not really be of any concern, unless you know they are living in a space where dogs or children could be likely to disturb them. In fact, you should be happy to see bats! Bats eat bugs, mosquitoes in particular. That is always a good thing!!

If it is dark outside, you most likely will not see any bats in the immediate area, as they are all out eating mosquitoes & other annoying bugs! If it is daylight, your chances of seeing one will be even less, as they are tucked away sleeping.

Pretty much, the times you are most likely to encounter a bat, provided they are actually residing somewhere on your property, would be dawn & dusk, when they are returning home, or heading out. Of course, if you happen to disturb their sleeping area, they are likely to fly out, but not to attack you. More likely it would be to find a quieter, more secluded place to sleep.

When I lived in the Santa Cruz mountains, our laundry room was downstairs, with no interior access from the rest of the house. There was a large covered porch, so I almost always left the door open. one day I went down to do laundry, and the cutest little fruit bat was hanging in the rafters above the washer. I startled him when I turned the light on, but he didn't fly out, so I turned the light back off, since there was enough daylight coming in to see what I was doing. Poor little dude was probably chasing "just one more. . . " When he realized he had stayed out too late, he went to the closest available dark spot he could find. . . until I came down.

Shortly after that we decided to buy a "Bat House. " Since we lived right next to a creek, the mosquitoes could get fairly bad in the summer, it just made sense. My (then 18mo old) daughter's absolute favorite thing (besides eating garlic dill pickles) was watching the bats coming & going. There were many times when she woke up very early, so she could wake me up and go watch the bats returning to their "house," after watching them come out before she had gone to bed!

Bottom line, if bats are something that truly troubles you--or even if they aren't--I strongly suggest getting a "Bat House" that can be put up somewhere near by. Doing so will draw any bats that may be there, away from your immediate living area. You also get the bonus of being able to watch them come and go, as well as a noticeable decrease in the insect population, too!!

I wouldn't be worried. I had bats flying around my house before when I was sleeping. (They came in the middle of the night and I didn't know for a few hours) They didn't bother me. I heard its rare for a bat to have rabies. And bats are usually afraid of people.

No you shouldn't be worried at all,

Nothing to be worried about