Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 6 years ago

Don't you think people use the term Bipolar way too often nowadays?

Bipolar is a serious mental issue, and there are so many people my age (in college) that are like "oh I'm so bipolar, I'm happy one second and the next I want to kill myself" blahblah totally over emphasizing their emotions and how they really feel. Bipolar is being unable to control the episodes and they don't shift that fast. There's this one girl who is like "only lithium can control me" and it's like dude why are you making your life so much more complicated by pretending you have a bipolar disorder when really you don't. I know she doesn't. I know people with bipolar. I study psychology. I read books. She is just wanted to sound novel or trendy, I swear... It's just annoying.

Favorite Answer

Yep. There was a scientific study that most doctors misdiagnose a simple anemia with bpd. I wouldn't expect a non-clinician to make any diagnosis, because that is already difficult for clinicians, and I think it may come across as a bit ignorant and therefore offensive, especially when one may have leukemia or some serious disease to have someone make a misdiagnosis; at the same time, I find it stupid for a non-clinician to think they have the knowledge to say something like that to someone they don't even know.

And again, many drugs cause mood swings, e.g. birth control can cause you that, but I know that beta-blockers (drugs for the high blood pressure) can also cause mood swings, menopause and hormonal imbalances are in general reasons for mood swings, stress, solid masses (e.g. tumors), I feel it is extremely difficult to narrowing it down to bpd, based on very little clinical knowledge about the patient. I feel what the World needs more is some knowledge and therefore understanding, rather than some preconceptual popular rule based on misinformation x

I think "bipolar" should be reserved for professional results. Otherwise, I feel that it's used too often as an excuse for a faulty personality.

Are you serious? You've logged in to ask this distinct question. Probably you ought to get a life instead.

I kind of noticed this trend. Whenever we here about a murder in the news. They blame it on #bipolar Then they get off easy/

it's partly because a lot of people like to self-diagnose themselves. if they find they have bipolar-like symptoms, or they exhibit bipolar-like behavior, they may assume they are bipolar.

Yes, as with OCD.